Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

The stakes will most likely be lower in my opinion as the top 24 out of 36 teams go through. Only the top 2 out of 4 currently go through. Time will tell but I suspect something like 8 points from 8 games might get you through to the knockout stages. So if you win your first 3 games, where is the jeopardy for the remaining 5?
Only top 8 guaranteed the last 16 knock out stages. If you finish outside you have to play 2 more games making 10 in total compared to the 6 you play now.

So 5 home games to fork out for instead of the 3 at present.

Regarding points you will need upward of 12 points to get into the top 8. The in form teams will probably get 20 points

As no one at the club seemed that arsed about the FA Cup Final I really don’t see the point of risking first teamers in either domestic competitions. We have won three trebles, domestic, the treble and the three last season. Fuck it. Let’s just concentrate on the two that matter.

Your view on what constitutes interesting may differ from mine but ultimately:

Its an extra home game, and if we finish 9th-24th it's an extra 2 home games.

Fundamentally it will be the same opponents. Some have qualified that haven't qualified before (Girona, Graz, Stuttgart, Bologna etc) but not because of the rule changes, they've just done well in their respective leagues. The extra home game is likely to be against an established side eg Real, Bayern, PSG. All of whom we have played recently but the price we have to pay will be higher than what we usually have to pay for a group stage game because it's a "glamorous" game.

The stakes will most likely be lower in my opinion as the top 24 out of 36 teams go through. Only the top 2 out of 4 currently go through. Time will tell but I suspect something like 8 points from 8 games might get you through to the knockout stages. So if you win your first 3 games, where is the jeopardy for the remaining 5?
Who wants 2 CL play-offs in January??
Also, the top 8 are away first vs the 8 play-off winners, 2nd leg home.

Pep will certainly want to be top 8.

For fun I made my draw (all matches with pot 1 Teams) and here's my outcome:

City - Barca
BvB - City
City - Leverkusen
Brügge - City
City - Celtic
YB - City
City - Graz
Sparta - City

(assuming YB and Sparta Prague will qualify...)

Easy peasy.

As no one at the club seemed that arsed about the FA Cup Final I really don’t see the point of risking first teamers in either domestic competitions. We have won three trebles, domestic, the treble and the three last season. Fuck it. Let’s just concentrate on the two that matter.
Only one really matters, playing 38 games and coming out on top is the true test of just how good you are.

Plenty of teams have won the Chumps who didn’t even win their home leagues.

Your view on what constitutes interesting may differ from mine but ultimately:

Its an extra home game, and if we finish 9th-24th it's an extra 2 home games.

Fundamentally it will be the same opponents. Some have qualified that haven't qualified before (Girona, Graz, Stuttgart, Bologna etc) but not because of the rule changes, they've just done well in their respective leagues. The extra home game is likely to be against an established side eg Real, Bayern, PSG. All of whom we have played recently but the price we have to pay will be higher than what we usually have to pay for a group stage game because it's a "glamorous" game.

You want a higher seeding as possible. Top two and you’re guaranteed the home leg second all the way to the final.

Also much more likely to face weaker sides in the first couple of knockout rounds with a high seeding.

I am a traditionalist who also follows non league football so have a lot of time for the FA Cup and what it can do for lower levels.

That said I can never understand City risking the PL and /or CL for either competition, it does not make financial sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.