Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

If everyone ends up playing two teams from each Pot, surely there is no advantage to being in Pot 1? I don't get it.
There is no advantage anymore. The pots are just ways of grouping teams for the draw so that no team can be drawn against 8 top teams or 8 weaker teams.

With increased squad numbers, I'd agree.

As it stands, the limits on numbers and the number of games (not least increasingly unimportant ones) will do nothing but wear players out.

The Carabao Cup should be ditched for any club that's involved in European competition. The expansion of European tournaments will ultimately kill the domestic game.
I don't think it should be ditched but it should be understood what it is - a cup whose prestige is way down on the totem pole. We should use it as a cup to get recovering players game time, backup keepers some time, and youth players developed.

There is no advantage anymore. The pots are just ways of grouping teams for the draw so that no team can be drawn against 8 top teams or 8 weaker teams.
That's kind of what I figured.

I don't understand how there will be a physical draw though - you certainly can't have 4 equal groups of 9. If we play two of everyone, that would be 3 from Pot 1, 2 from the others. However, if eg Villa are in that group they would play 3 pot 1, 1 pot 4, and 2 from Pot 2 & 3. It's unbalanced.

The only way everyone can play 2 teams from each pot is for it to be effectively randomised. So even the team from Pot 1 you "draw" will most likely end up playing completely different teams from pot 2, 3, and 4. You definitely can't have 4 groups of 9 which is what I originally thought was going to happen.

I'm kind of intrigued to see how it works in reality but I don't think it's an improvement, and for those that believe UEFA have manipulated (fixed) draws previously, I suspect they will realise how transparent it actually was before.

Looking forward to this, not a bad thing to revamp things every now and again. The old format had become a bit stale and we had dead rubbers at the end of the group stage.

Until players start withdrawing from shitty International shite then I'm not arsed about their complaints of too many games.

The Rags for example made themselves unavailable at the end of the season but appeared for the Cup Final.

Hopefully more game time for squad players and avoidance of promising talent having to move on to play (Palmer).

Final is in Munich btw. City v Vinnie, it could happen.
Agreed it needed a bit of a refresh and the possibility of playing in the same group as the Dippers or Arsenal will certainly make it a lot more interesting.

I was gutted when we went out to Madrid this year and would love to win it next season.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out and like others hoping we get to do some new grounds but you can bet we will get Leipzig and Shakhtar.

I cant see the World Club Cup going ahead in 2025, our players will be on their knees by then.
Was looking forward to going but think its right if it does not go ahead.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out and like others hoping we get to do some new grounds but you can bet we will get Leipzig and Shakhtar.

I cant see the World Club Cup going ahead in 2025, our players will be on their knees by then.
Was looking forward to going but think its right if it does not go ahead.

When do they plan to do it in summer the club World Cup? Immediately after the season ends or July August when it could be in place of any friendlies they play around the world?

Yes all countries with four or more qualifiers can get another club from their own country.

They did say they would try and avoid it but it may not be possible for countries with 4+ teams.

I take from that if it is unavoidable for a couple of teams, it’s most likely to be those with five rather than four.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.