Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

You want a higher seeding as possible. Top two and you’re guaranteed the home leg second all the way to the final.

Also much more likely to face weaker sides in the first couple of knockout rounds with a high seeding.
That's certainly not the case.

From knockout on nothing changes.
From quarterfinals on there are no seedings, the draw defines home and away.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/files/2024-25-uefa-cl-rules.pdf

I am a traditionalist who also follows non league football so have a lot of time for the FA Cup and what it can do for lower levels.

That said I can never understand City risking the PL and /or CL for either competition, it does not make financial sense.
£2 million for winning the FA Cup, £17.4 million just for qualifying for Champions League group stage makes sort of chasing trophies pointless now sadly. That said I was gutted about not winning last Saturday.

That's certainly not the case.

From knockout on nothing changes.
From quarterfinals on there are no seedings, the draw defines home and away.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/files/2024-25-uefa-cl-rules.pdf
1000019309.png
My understanding is that it is predetermined to the final from the group stage positioning, but I am still figuring out these rules so not confident to say you are definitely wrong at this stage.

This will make flights to away games more expensive as people will search for routes/airlines will be able to increase costs before we know for certain if we're getting through each round (and the opposition).

... My understanding is that it is predetermined to the final from the group stage positioning, but I am still figuring out these rules so not confident to say you are definitely wrong at this stage...

Just read the UEFA rules posted in my last post:

"Article 19 Draw system – knockout phase
19.01 Once the league phase has been completed, 24 clubs enter the knockout phase in predetermined positions based on their ranking at the end of the league phase, as illustrated
in Annex B (that's the slide you have posted above).

19.02 The fixtures for the knockout phase play-offs are determined by means of a draw conducted in accordance with the following principles:
a. The clubs are paired based on their positions at the end of the league phase to form four seeded pairs (clubs in positions 9 and 10, 11 and 12, 13 and 14, and 15 and 16) and four unseeded pairs (positions 17 and 18, 19 and 20, 21 and 22, and 23 and 24).
b. The clubs in each seeded pair are drawn against the clubs in each unseeded pair, as illustrated in Annex B: clubs 9 or 10 against clubs 23 or 24, clubs 11 or 12 against clubs 21 or 22, clubs 13 or 14 against clubs 19 or 20, and clubs 15 or 16 against clubs 17 or 18.
c. In principle, the seeded clubs play the return leg matches at home.

The fixtures for the round of 16 are determined by means of a draw conducted in accordance with the following principles:
a. The clubs are paired based on their positions at the end of the league phase to form four seeded pairs (clubs in positions 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6, and 7 and 8).
b. The clubs in each seeded pair are drawn into one of two positions in the round of 16, as illustrated in Annex B, against the relevant winner of the knockout phase play-offs, whose position is determined by the knockout phase play-off draw in accordance with Paragraph 19.02.
c. In principle, the seeded clubs play the return leg matches at home.

The quarter-finals, semi-finals and final pairings are determined according to Annex B. A draw is conducted to determine which team plays the first leg match at home."

Clearly 19.04 says that from QF onwards home and away are drawn as usual. Flight bookings as usual too.

Happy with that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.