Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

The Champions League was designed to ensure that big-revenue generators would go deep in the competition, and not be knocked out early by some sucker-puncher like Steaua Bucharest. The champions of Spain, so went the logic, should not be knocked out early by the champions of Finland. It’d be bad for business.

The last few versions of the Champions League however have produced an awful lot of very dull football in the group stages: some shock results, but rarely derailing a good team out of the competition. Teams who finished bottom of their group almost invariably deserved to, whether they were Dinamo Vladivostok or Barcelona.

This year, though, we have a league-like situation from the off. As @kippaxwarrior helpfully explains, there are clear advantages to finishing top of the league stage, but as teams don’t play everyone it’s not controllable. To avoid still more pointless games, and to increase the possibility in the early league-stage that Istree Club FC will play FC Club Histórico, early jeopardy is reintroduced, meaning that the final stages are harder to engineer.

I’m tentatively optimistic this will be an improvement. I may alter this view when I see the draw, of course.
The knockout stage definitely isn't engineered, it's based on position of the initial league of 36, the knockout phase is predetermined, a bit like Wimbledon and the Darts World Final, top half draw, bottom half draw. Finish 1st or 2nd, can't meet each other until the final, it's designed to stop dead rubbers plus there's still coefficient points to play for.

It's really not complicated, it's very simple and the draw is being conducted by computer because UEFA don't want teams to play others from the same country more than once if possible but it's inevitable some will be involved with two games but one at home and one away, eg, could play Stuggart at home and Bayern away.

With country protection and the above criteria the traditional draw was tested but it took 4 hours to complete so they've gone down the computerised "random" route.

Once the competition starts it won't be difficult to understand.
I'm.presuming the computer will still draw teams out 1 at a time.
In theory it could draw them all out at the same time but that would be boring and would have people saying it's fixed

I'm.presuming the computer will still draw teams out 1 at a time.
In theory it could draw them all out at the same time but that would be boring and would have people saying it's fixed
Not sure how they're doing it but UEFA like to stretch it out and it's reported the draw is on from 17:00 - 18:25 so I'm guessing they're going to go with matchday 1 then have a gap every 10 minutes to chat with some ex footballers and so on until matchday 8, 70 minutes of waffle between the draws.

So in the new format there isn’t actually a benefit for being in pot 1 as you still play two teams from that pot anyway?

I get the benefit to UEFA but from a club point of view it’s no impact?

So in the new format there isn’t actually a benefit for being in pot 1 as you still play two teams from that pot anyway?

I get the benefit to UEFA but from a club point of view it’s no impact?
You're right but there has to be pots seeded to ensure teams play others of varying degrees of ability predetermined by club and country coefficients. Teams in Pot 4 will find it really tough playing 6 games against other clubs that on paper are levels above them.

This is a pretty thorough explanation with examples. Not sure how I feel about it. Seems that it will be a lot more competitive with more games. With the club world cup, this is starting to look like a stupid season after the euros, Copa, and Olympics.
https://www.espn.co.uk/football/sto...ons-league-mock-draw-how-new-format-plays-out

This was helpful thanks NOU.

I like it, it’s new and different.

Finish top 8 and you’re through.

Finish as low as 24th and you can still go through via a play off.

Think that gives clubs who would usually finish 3rd/4th in the old format a great chance of progressing.

Not sure if the bigger clubs will look at it and think let’s finish as high as possible (1st to 8th) or will they just do enough to finish 9-24th and take the chance on going through via the play off?

You could end up with a club finishing 24th going on to win the thing.

Decent draw -
Inter (h)
Leipzig(a)
Benfica(a)
Brugge (h)
Salzburg(a)
Lille(h)
Bologna(a)
Stade Brestois(h)

Not quite so good -
Real Madrid(a)
Bayern(h)
Atletico(a)
Leverkusen(h)
Sporting Lisbon(h)
PSV(a)
Monaco(a)
Slovan Bratislava(h)

Hopefully the Horizon computer will be all fired up and ready
Will be in boozer before the Hearts v Plzner second leg so will be beyond excited anyway.

I believe you can play teams from your nation this year

Re the highlighted bit: Initially UEFA said a maximum of two teams from each country could play each other if that country had five clubs in the tournament and if the draw would be wrecked if they rejected that pairing. Basically if the two were drawn together when it was too late to pair them with other teams.
They seem to have changed their minds.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.