Champions League Draw & TV Pairings

I think you're right, I'd imagine it will be Chelsea/Barca paired together. How does it work in terms of the TV ratings? Do they just use Pot 1 sides to determine things or will it change slightly now Pot 1 is formed of the champions of the different leagues? Before it was slightly different because Barca and Real would be pot 1 and so would Chelsea and Arsenal/the rags so it made sense to split them at that stage.

If Barca are paired with Chelsea, it could be that Barca get drawn with the Rags and Chelsea with Real Madrid. That would mean Chelsea and the rags, barca and real all on the same night. I'm assuming they'll only allow certain teams into the pot to stop this happening? This will show how rigged the system is though, even more so than in past years.

Essentially means when Barca get picked out they only allow us from the English contingent because of TV pairings, and then Porto/Leverkusen (potentially) and one other... is this how it would work?
Chelsea and Barca won't be paired and no it doesn't go off pots, the pots are completely irrelevant to pairing.

Basically, before the draw is made tomorrow, the TV companies will take a look at the entire list of clubs participating in this years Champions League. They then, freely pair clubs from the same association (sometimes with a small input from policing requests) - the whole point of this is to ensure that there are highly 'viewed' teams playing every night during the group stages (and round of 16) and to decrease the chance of clubs playing within 30 miles of each other on the same night.

The paired teams can't be drawn together and are placed in either the blue half of the draw (Groups A,B,C and D) or in the red half (Groups E,F,G and H) depending who comes out the hat first.

Barcelona WILL be matched with Real Madrid, Athletico and Valencia will be paired. Suppose we are paired with Chelsea and United/Arsenal are paired together as well.

Now, when the draw is made, Juve come out the hat first and get, let's say Valencia. Then, again for arguments sake Bayern come out and draw United, Next Barca come out, because they can't draw Real/Athletico/Sevilla (If they reach pot 2) because of the association rule, they can only draw a remaining English team or Porto, Let's say United are paired with Arsenal (something I predict will happen) Barca can only be drawn against us/Porto because Arsenal have to be in groups E,F,G or H (Rather than pot C) because united have gone into pot B. We roughly have a 1 in 3/4 chance of getting Barca.

It is an incredibly confusing system.

Chelsea and Barca won't be paired and no it doesn't go off pots, the pots are completely irrelevant to pairing.

Basically, before the draw is made tomorrow, the TV companies will take a look at the entire list of clubs participating in this years Champions League. They then, freely pair clubs from the same association (sometimes with a small input from policing requests) - the whole point of this is to ensure that there are highly 'viewed' teams playing every night during the group stages (and round of 16) and to decrease the chance of clubs playing within 30 miles of each other on the same night.

The paired teams can't be drawn together and are placed in either the blue half of the draw (Groups A,B,C and D) or in the red half (Groups E,F,G and H) depending who comes out the hat first.

Barcelona WILL be matched with Real Madrid, Athletico and Valencia will be paired. Suppose we are paired with Chelsea and United/Arsenal are paired together as well.

Now, when the draw is made, Juve come out the hat first and get, let's say Valencia. Then, again for arguments sake Bayern come out and draw United, Next Barca come out, because they can't draw Real/Athletico/Sevilla (If they reach pot 2) because of the association rule, they can only draw a remaining English team or Porto, Let's say United are paired with Arsenal (something I predict will happen) Barca can only be drawn against us/Porto because Arsenal have to be in groups E,F,G or H (Rather than pot C) because united have gone into pot B. We roughly have a 1 in 3/4 chance of getting Barca.

And because it's so confusing easily open to being manipulated

It being called a "Draw" is a piss take. It's anything but a draw! It's so complicated that there's almost only one possible outcome haha ;)

You've summarised it well though, thanks!
I thought it was something along those lines.
Basically we're very likely to have it tough unless we get "lucky" and first out of Pot 1 is someone like Benfica/PSV or beyond that PSG/Juve and we then get drawn with them.
Even then there's still the fact that Barca can draw very few teams from Pot 2 and with TV pairings it's more than likely we'll get screwed over.

I'll be in Barcelona on a Tuesday (flying home Wednesday morning) on one of the gameweeks so it would be my luck that we draw them, play them away from home that gameweek but it be scheduled for the Wednesday!

I guess we just sit back and watch the inevitable. At least we can't draw them in the last 16 if we get them in our group... so it would be Bayern or Real we get instead!

So it'll be Barca City Roma & Wolfsburg then. Or Bayern City CSKA & Maccabi.
I wouldn't mind Barca in the Group Stage - at least we would have a chance of coming away from the Camp Nou knowing we weren't out of the competition

Anyone but barca, bayern, moscow or roma and im happy. Would love to play teams we haven't before. But the draw makes it impossible.

and about as far as you can get from a free and fair draw

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.