Re: Champions League Draw??

lancs blue said:
LawsBackHeel said:
LawsBackHeel said:
Barca
Shakhtar
Man City
Dortmund

Showing my lack of knowledge here now, why can't this group happen they are all in different pots and in different countries.

Cheers :o)

It could happen, I wouldn't want it though!

Thank you, so I am not going mad then. Can't remember who posted it earlier but they said it could not happen and I could not work out why.

LoveCity said:
I'm glad we can't draw Zenit as I have a feeling we'd struggle badly against them but they're in the same pot.

You'd better become an Arsenal, Benfica and Lyon supporter for the night as if one of them goes out Zenit will move up into pot 2!

The Champion's League this season, I believe, is going to be far more competitive in terms of the groups. There are a disordinate number of "big teams" in Pots 3 and 4, or essentially, in amongst the teams UEFA believe will NOT qualify from the group.

Napoli, Borussia Dortmund (German Champions), Lille (French Champions), City, Fenerbahce (Turkish Champions), Bayer Leverkusen, Ajax (Dutch Champions) and Zenit St Petersburg all fall into this category.

Look at last years Pot 3 and 4 teams, Tottenham, Ajax and Schalke are about as good as it gets, the quality simply wasn't there.

We are likely to get a Spanish team.

assuming the favourites get through tonight.

From Pot 1 we can only get : Barca, Madrid, Porto, Bayern or Inter. so we have a 40% chance of drawing a spanish team in pot 1.

Then based on a pot 2 of: Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, Villarreal, AC Milan, Valencia, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, Benfica.

If we were to get Porto or Inter that would rule out Benfica or Milan. But you have to take into account who else is ruled out in other groups.

So the two spanish teams couldn't be in the same group as Barca or Madrid. So have to be in one of the other 6 groups, so we would then have a 33% chance to get either Villarreal or Valencia if we drew Bayern, and a 40% chance of getting one of them if we got Inter or Porto.

However, Villarreal and Valencia have a 50% chance of drawing one of the top english seeds, which would mean we can't play them. So you can halve our chances of playing either of them.

I can't be arsed to actually work out the percentage chance we have, because frankly I don't care. Just wanted to show that given that we are in pot 3 it is likely we will play a Spanish team. (The same doesn't apply for Napoli in pot 4 because the likes of Apoel can play anyone)<br /><br />-- Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:05 pm --<br /><br />I would prefer Porto as I think they are the weakest team in group 1. Or Barca in the hope it means we can avoid them in the knockouts. I hope we avoid Dortmund and Napoli at all costs though as they could really upset a group

Has anyone worked out which pot we'd be in if we hadn't had our last 3 Uefa cup/Europa League runs?

given_is_ironman said:
Has anyone worked out which pot we'd be in if we hadn't had our last 3 Uefa cup/Europa League runs?

Only the last two count toward the seedings, I'm fairly certain we'd be in Pot 4 without them.

lancs blue said:
given_is_ironman said:

Only the last two count toward the seedings, I'm fairly certain we'd be in Pot 4 without them.

I thought it was the last 5?

lancs blue said:
given_is_ironman said:

Five years of euro competition counts towards the seedings

squirtyflower said:
lancs blue said:
given_is_ironman said:

Yes, that only includes our last two UEFA campaigns.

squirtyflower said:
lancs blue said:
given_is_ironman said:

So, those people on here who were moaning about us being in the Europa last year would've been happy for us to be in pot 4 and having a much harder draw? i think not.

Ta for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.