Champions League Final Liverpool v Spurs

What like us beating Shaktar 6-0 and Schalke 7-0 (in the knockout stages) was any different ?

That's my point. What would be a tougher game for City, Real Madrid (third in La Liga) or the Champions of Sweden? Making it domestic champions only, would make it even more one sided. The current format is by no means perfect, but it's too late to revert to the past, the game has changed too much.

That's my point. What would be a tougher game for City, Real Madrid (third in La Liga) or the Champions of Sweden? Making it domestic champions only, would make it even more one sided. The current format is by no means perfect, but it's too late to revert to the past, the game has changed too much.

Give the champions their own mini group games, so they can make the last 8 teams. And give all the other teams larger groups, so 8 of they can at least make the last 16. The champions have easier group games and less of them.

That would be shit. Only the full league format would give a real, undisputed and best champions of europe. cup competitions are shit. There's no sane guy who would say Spurs are better than us and they played final and we haven't. It would never happen in long game as domestic league proves. I hate cup competitions. Greece and Portugal winning euros prove it's nowhere near the sign of quality of winners.

I agree the ‘cup’ format is wank.

The problem with a ‘league’ format is that once a team are a third of the way through the ‘league’ games and are 10 points off the top they’re going to stop being arsed and the games will simply become an inconvenience to them and consequently a shit spectacle.

Imagine Game 10 - Spurs v Napoli with them both sitting in mid table. Not a single fuck will be given, hardly any fans will be arsed enough to go and you probably wouldn’t even watch it on tv.

The competition would only be of tangible interest to those at/ near the top of the league as it progresses.

Not sure what the answer is to making the competition fair and meaningful tbh.

I agree the ‘cup’ format is wank.

The problem with a ‘league’ format is that once a team are a third of the way through the ‘league’ games and are 10 points off the top they’re going to stop being arsed and the games will simply become an inconvenience to them and consequently a shit spectacle.

Imagine Game 10 - Spurs v Napoli with them both sitting in mid table. Not a single fuck will be given, hardly any fans will be arsed enough to go and you probably wouldn’t even watch it on tv.

The competition would only be of tangible interest to those at/ near the top of the league as it progresses.

Not sure what the answer is to making the competition fair and meaningful tbh.

Agree to some extent, but neutrals are barely watching Shakhtar vs Hoffenheim game now too and fans of those clubs would still bother just as west ham vs newcastle do when they play in the league when they can't either qualify to europe or get relegated.

The league format will happen at some time. It won't be Belarus vs Bosnian champions though, but some superleague.

Agree to some extent, but neutrals are barely watching Shakhtar vs Hoffenheim game now too and fans of those clubs would still bother just as west ham vs newcastle do when they play in the league when they can't either qualify to europe or get relegated.

The league format will happen at some time. It won't be Belarus vs Bosnian champions though, but some superleague.

Shakhtar and Hoffenheim fans would have a difficult choice to make - pay for a complete dead rubber in the CL or pay for a (probably) more meaningful game in their own league. I know which one I’d choose.

Say it was us, sitting 10 points behind the leaders, half way in, and we had a CL game away v Galatasaray in midweek and the derby at home at the weekend, the CL game wouldn’t get a look in.

If the handball rule Is being interpreted in the PL as it's been In the CL this year. I can see the dippers practicing smashing the ball at defenders arms.

If the handball rule Is being interpreted in the PL as it's been In the CL this year. I can see the dippers practicing smashing the ball at defenders arms.

That happened on Saturday, the first day of the new rule, after two minutes.

Worth remembering in this context that in the European cup format, Liverpool’s opponents in 1977 were, in succession,

Crusaders of Ireland
Trabzonspor
St Etienne
FC Zurich
Borussia Mönchengladbach (Final)

Two years later, Forest were up against the might of Malmo in the final...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.