Champions League Final Liverpool v Spurs

It won't be interesting, most games would be one sided batterings. The odds of the champions of Malta, Slovenia, Cyprus, etc, beating teams like City or Barcelona is far too great. You only have to look at Liverpool's drubbing of Maribor a few years ago, and Legia Warsaw being hammered 6-0 at home to Dortmund, and that is the risk it will become. The gulf between those teams and the ones in "smaller" leagues is too much for a competitive tournament.

Champions of Malta still wouldn't qualify for the group stage, some qualifiers would still be needed. And yes, I agree there would be batterings but at some time with money being distributed differently, the gap in quality would go down. Of course you'll see these batteringd you mentioned when those teams get the chance to play in CL once each 50 bluemoons, while the better teams collect the money year after year.

For me, the current format is better than the old European Cup. The standard and quality is much higher, and its shown in the games this season, bar the final. Yes, its easier to qualify for, but tougher to win.

We'll have to agree to disagree. However why don't they keep the current system with teams that qualify, scrap the group stage and just have it as a knockout as per FA cup.

Perhaps renaming it would settle the what’s better argument, say the cartel cup, European trophy,

I do agree that this is more attractive, it's better to watch City vs Tottenham, than City vs Sarajevo, but it is killing the smaller leagues. For ex. clubs here in Bosnia are dying to qualify for Europe, just to lose in first or second prequalifying round as 400-500 000 euro they make from that one or two European games are matter of life and death in their budgets. It's huge, huge gap and it's getting worse and worse.

We'll have to agree to disagree. However why don't they keep the current system with teams that qualify, scrap the group stage and just have it as a knockout as per FA cup.

That would be shit. Only the full league format would give a real, undisputed and best champions of europe. cup competitions are shit. There's no sane guy who would say Spurs are better than us and they played final and we haven't. It would never happen in long game as domestic league proves. I hate cup competitions. Greece and Portugal winning euros prove it's nowhere near the sign of quality of winners.

That would be shit. Only the full league format would give a real, undisputed and best champions of europe. cup competitions are shit. There's no sane guy who would say Spurs are better than us and they played final and we haven't. It would never happen in long game as domestic league proves. I hate cup competitions. Greece and Portugal winning euros prove it's nowhere near the sign of quality of winners.

There is no ideal solution and yes you're right winning doesn't mean your the best.

I agree with what you say about a full league format, but if to hate cup competitions as much as you say is a little sad. Cup tournaments produce some of the best iconic sporting moments: England 1966, Brazil 1970, The Matthews Final, Spurs vs City 2004 FA Cup.

Really, you hate cup competitions? I agree about the league format, but the beauty of a cup competition is that it can throw up surprises, and as mentioned above, iconic sporting moments. Greece winning Euro 2004 was a great story imo. Football isn't an exact science where the best team is going to win all the time, and its better for that. You can't compare it to Portugal winning the Euro's, they were one of the favourites.

I agree about iconic moments but still love the winning on full quality long term merit, rather than losing while being much better and having one bad day.

Major case of sour grapes on here. Liverpool made the final last year, have won it this year, and missed out on the league by a solitary point achieving an amazing 97 points. Credit where credit is due. This Liverpool team is a brilliant team, up there with the very best in history and can rightly claim to be the Champions of Europe.
Haha alright then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.