Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

The more you think about it the more bizarre our team selection was.

Playing a team that will sit deep and than use a quick counter attack, Pep goes without any protection of the back 4 !.

Chelsea goal our back 4 were all over the place , never seen them like that all season ( well since the spurs game ). I replay that Chelsea goal over and over in my head , but in my head Fernandinho is between our two centre backs and cuts the pass out. That's what we have done all season, giving the front players a platform. For some bizarre reasons Pep throw that out last night !.

City defence had no protection and our front players didnt have a solid platform to attack on. Just because City went without a DM.

Said it to loads of people after the match and I’ll say it again
We’ve not looked vulnerable to that through ball or ball over the top since Tottenham game, we’ve had Ferna or Rhodri giving protection to the back 4, last night he changes it in our most important game against a team with a lightning quick striker, they should’ve been 2 up before they scored. Gundo has had his best season for us playing in a more advanced role and so he takes him out of that position
It’s his quick interplay with KDB & Foden in and around the box that has unlocked defences all season so he’s basically taken that option away v a team who are brilliantly organised defensively
He’s put a player in who has not performed well for my months and is so out of form and low on confidence he’d struggle to get in a lot of sides at the moment
He’s not done this in a CC tie he’s fine it in a CL final

what the actual fuck Pep, WHY

Ego. He has faced question marks over over-thinking and he wanted a personal triumph against his critics?

Very damaging for coach and club and players and fans. We all paid for this weakness. He does though have strengths so it would be stupid to hand him his P45.

One might ask Pep, look what went wrong? How can we help you not to do this stuff but it would be a very difficult conversation and would possibly lead to resignation. We just have to accept him as he is.

I can't see Pep resigning after this remarkable season. I can see him now thinking that we need to make some real changes to personnel so we can retain the title. Chelsea pose a serious threat which I expect will prompt a really positive response from Pep.

I think he must have realised that Chelsea would break on us. I think he had some crazy idea that OK this will happen, but they will be out of position and my team will kill them on the transition. There must have been some rationale to it.

It annoys me that whatever the plan was it was clear that Chelsea were looking very likely to score and we had Rodri and Fernandinho on the bench and we didn't do anything.

We are never going to understand this.

I hope Pep recovers from this. It is very very damaging. A coaching failure if ever there was one.

But on the other hand the league season was a personal Pep triumph. I think we have to accept that our coach is a genius but he makes mistakes like us all.

I don't understand where the criticism of certain players is coming from. Those who question Sterling are being very unreasonable. I thought he was OK.

There are times when an extra defensive player adds coherence to your attack. We were so open we allowed Chelsea to get to 50-50 possession in the first half. Did we play a really bad offensive game? I don't think so. When you play against a 5-2-3 you are not going to slice through them. You are looking for 3-4 moments in a game, an you restrict their breaks. We totally lost control of that 1st half and it stemmed entirely from the tactical decision.

To be honest I don't know where Gundogan played. Did he play in the position where Rodri/Fernandinho would have played? We needed cover. If he was playing that role then why would you choose him over Rodri, or Fernandinho. Gundogan is not particularly good at defensive cover.

There is no point trying to 2nd guess what Pep was doing. I just hope he recovers.

At least we wont have to worry about complacency next season.
+1 to all of this.

Yep. Chelsea deserved their win, well done.
Pep brainfart did it again.
Not feeling that bad after the season we've had - was a free hit, we didn't get it, but we made serious strides forward this/last year.
Last night was another major step.
We stay in the news.
We continue to compete for the top prizes.

2md half was a Chelsea masterclass in how to disrupt a game. Ref let them do it. But what do you do? Book a player for feigning injury.

Losing KDB was a killer for us. We lost composure as the game went on. No one took control in his absence and organised our play. At that moment we had an enormous psychological blow as a team and no one stepped up. We played in Chelsea's half 2nd half but I never thought we have got them here.

Would we have managed to hurt them with KDB in the closing minutes? Maybe.

I think it was a mistake to throw Aguero on. The moment we went direct it became really easy for Chelsea to defend against us. We panicked. I think every single decision Pep made last night was awful. He got nothing right. The only player who came out of it with any credit was Jesus. I really think he gets a raw deal at City. His touch and control is exceptional. He should have started this game. I do hope that Jesus ends up as our centre-forward but I can easily see him being sacrificed in a move for a centre=forward which imo will be a mistake.

I can't see Pep resigning after this remarkable season. I can see him now thinking that we need to make some real changes to personnel so we can retain the title. Chelsea pose a serious threat which I expect will prompt a really positive response from Pep.
It just gives him more reason to pressurize the board on getting Kane, Grealish and like, or alternatives.

But I think this is an illusion. Last night proved that you can have a team of great players who can't perform if they're set up wrong.

They were set up right for most of the season, and they performed brilliantly.

Yes, we need to replace Aguero, but the team doesn't need a bunch of new players. We've got the players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.