Champions League Groups (Update p6)

bluesmith said:
bored at work said:
Pride_In_Battle said:
Goes on their results for the last 5 years, not just last year. Pretty sure they've moved up a pot, but their results from years 3, 4 and 5 have seriously counted against them

The system is a joke. Arsenal pot 1 year after year even though are scraping 4th domestically. Their coefficient remains high because they are always pot 1 and make it out of the group stages.
Domestic result have no bearing on Champion league pots, Arsenal qualify for the knock out stages every year, so they probably rightly are in the top pot.

As I said, the reason why they qualify for the knock out stages IS because they are in the top pot. Catch 22 to protect the old guard.

bluesmith said:
bored at work said:
Pride_In_Battle said:
Goes on their results for the last 5 years, not just last year. Pretty sure they've moved up a pot, but their results from years 3, 4 and 5 have seriously counted against them

The system is a joke. Arsenal pot 1 year after year even though are scraping 4th domestically. Their coefficient remains high because they are always pot 1 and make it out of the group stages.
Domestic result have no bearing on Champion league pots, As you say Arsenal qualify for the knock out stages every year, so why should they drop out of that pot?

Because they are crap and have no chance of getting to a final. But who cares you have to beat them all if you want to win it.

jonmcity said:
bluesmith said:
bored at work said:
Domestic result have no bearing on Champion league pots, As you say Arsenal qualify for the knock out stages every year, so why should they drop out of that pot?

Because they are crap and have no chance of getting to a final. But who cares you have to beat them all if you want to win it.
Name me 8 teams with a better record than Arsenal in the Champions league over the last ten years to knock Arsenal out of pot 1? They are in the top group because they are consistent in the Champions League.

bluesmith said:
jonmcity said:
bluesmith said:

Name me 8 teams with a better record than Arsenal, in the Champions league over the last ten years? They are in the top group because they are consistent in the Champions League.

Yes but thats because they are in pot one playing inferior teams. They still have no chance of getting to a final.

jonmcity said:
bluesmith said:
jonmcity said:
Name me 8 teams with a better record than Arsenal, in the Champions league over the last ten years? They are in the top group because they are consistent in the Champions League.

Yes but thats because they are in pot one playing inferior teams. They still have no chance of getting to a final.
And the reason they are in pot 1 playing inferior teams is because they have made semi finals and finals in the past. Their record over the last ten years has been similar if not better than Madrid but nobody seems to complain about them being in pot 1?

bluesmith said:
jonmcity said:
bluesmith said:

And the reason they are in pot 1 playing inferior teams is because they have made semi finals and finals in the past.

Yes in the past, my point is that the current form of any team should be part of the grading system not just what you did in that competition against inferior teams. England are still graded as one of the best teams, and we all know they are crap as well.

jonmcity said:
bluesmith said:
jonmcity said:
And the reason they are in pot 1 playing inferior teams is because they have made semi finals and finals in the past.

Yes in the past, my point is that the current form of any team should be part of the grading system not just what you did in that competition against inferior teams. England are still graded as one of the best teams, and we all know they are crap as well.
Current form is used only the past 5 years count, in the past 5 years Arsenal have qualified each year and got out of the groups why exactly should they be demoted to pot 2? Not sure what England has to do with Champions league seedings?

Surely the seeding should be based on how the teams have performed in their respective leagues as that then ensures the best teams of the moment are not playing each other.

Of course Arsenal have done well they are in Pot 1 cant play us or and so end up playing 2 ordinary sides and one other ranked side so are able to get out of their group

chesterguy said:
Surely the seeding should be based on how the teams have performed in their respective leagues as that then ensures the best teams of the moment are not playing each other.

Of course Arsenal have done well they are in Pot 1 cant play us or and so end up playing 2 ordinary sides and one other ranked side so are able to get out of their group
There are arguments for boths sides but personally i don't think domestic form should affect European seeding.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.