Champions League Haters

Young guy - We need to win the CL
Middle aged guy - We need to win the League title
Old guy - Just beat our closest rivals

The wisdom of old men

’Why should not old men be mad?’
And the really old men can’t remember the result by next morning!

Sorry but I beg to differ. Some of the top teams are evolving all the time and getting better each year. If we dont win it this year, it could be a long time before we do. Besides Peps not going to be here forever. If we do win it this year we'll at least have the experience of going all the way which will lay the foundations for future success.

For what it’s worth, I think you’re the best team remaining in the competition and I fully expect you to win it. If you do, you will have deserved it not just for this year but for your consistent dominance domestically. You need to win when you’re on top because opportunities and form come and go. So, good luck!

The situation will be this.

Even if we do win the CL this year, very few journalists, pundits, social media-click bait-haters, and opposing fans, especially United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans, will give City any credit. The CL has suddenly become tainted. Apart from all the excuses, like no fans, etc, the goal posts will be moved, as they always are, and we will have only won the CL once. If City can do the English and CL quadruple in 1 season, that will be the game changer. Just like when City did the English quadruple in 1 season. I have yet to lose an argument when I bring that up, as no English club has ever done that. And there is no comeback on it.

For what it’s worth, I think you’re the best team remaining in the competition and I fully expect you to win it. If you do, you will have deserved it not just for this year but for your consistent dominance domestically. You need to win when you’re on top because opportunities and form come and go. So, good luck!
And I hope you win the Europa, not those rag bastards!

Love everything about the CL, rarely miss the draws even. Some of the complaints about it (only champions should play, seedings, away goals) look very very silly.
Ever since the champions went to Pot 1, the group stages have become more interesting. United were top of the group after round 4, and watching them exit the competition was fun.
We've had some atrocious decisions going against us, and UEFA hates Manchester City. Regardless, I still consider it the pinnacle of club football.

What would look very silly is a team finishing 6th in their domestic league, getting into the Europa League, winning that, and the following season getting into the CL via that route, and wining the CL. It’s yet to happen, but it probably will happen.

On route to winning the CL, Liverppol lost 3 games and drew 2 games. If a team loses a game in the Carabao Cup or FA Cup they are out. No 2nd chances.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.