Champions League - QF: Real Madrid, SF: Arsenal/Bayern, (H) for 2nd legs

Who do you want in the Quarter Final?

• Total voters
Big difference between previous seasons and this time round is Bellingham. Whatever you might think of him, he’s a threat.
Hopefully Pep will have a plan for dealing with him.
He's a difference but ,haven't taken much notice but last time I looked v Leipzig he was playing as a 9. He's a very good player but not sure he's a bigger there there than Benzema was.

Control over 180 minutes should be sufficient to contain occasional bursts from Bellingham or V Jr. I'm happy that we will play the bigger teams over 2 legs. As the result I think we have a better chance to win CL than PL this year, of course hopefully both or all three of them.

Never like to see players get injured, but sounds like Courtois has suffered another bad knee injury in training today so there’s no chance of him playing against us.
Big miss for Madrid. He was amazing in the second leg last season. One of the best goalkeeping displays I can remember.

It would have been 7-0 if not for him!

Back on the forum after nearly 6 months.
Sad what could have been an awesome Final is now a Quarter Final.
Anyways - our season has been fairly meh despite us leading by 7pts.

Aug/Sep -
Season ending injuries for our starting CBs and GK.
Very lackluster, leggy, slow and pedestrian performances.
Huge gaps in midfield put pressure on DM and backup CMs. Bailed out by a brilliant Jude and lucky that our opps couldn't score.
Vini & Rodrygo play too wide and Jude regularly drops deep which means for large periods of the game, opposing CBs are unoccupied.
The 3-0 loss against Atletico was our true level.
Took us two months to learn the new diamond formation.

Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan -
Solid 3 months of good football.
Midfield had learned to become compact.
No more kamikaze-style runs by fullbacks - one always stays back to make a midfield 3: generally Mendy-and 2 out of Kroos/Tchou/Modric/Cama.

Feb -
The team goes back to playing lackluster football. This season Carlo has not been rotating the team well and it shows with some of the injuries and leggy performances.

Mar/Now -
Solid start to the month with a 4-0 victory. Hopefully this is the beginning of an upcycle.

Going forward:

Madrid....................City

Osasuna (A, 10th)...... Newcastle (H, QF, 10th)
Bilbao (H, 5th)..........Arsenal (H, 1st)
............................Villa (H, 4th)
............................Palace (A, 14th)
....................RM v City
Mallorca (A, 15th)......Luton (H, 18th)
....................City v RM
Barca (H, 3rd)..........Tottenham (A, 5th)

You are the favorites but you also:
  1. have a greater mental/physical exhaustion of being in a 3-way title race compared to us.
  2. have 2 challenging games with little rest before the first leg and even Luton will fight like hell before the second leg.
  3. 2 extra games before the first leg.
  4. are somehow less scary than last season. Haaland/Alvarez/Silva look a level below this season. The only player who has gone up a level is Foden.
I'd say the ties are 52-48 in favor of City.
I thought Bilbao were playing the Cup Final on the 6th?

I do find it hilarious a lot of folks on here assume City will play Bayern in the SF! Bayern are playing against the Premier League leaders not the Rags! It will be a close tie but I reckon Arsenal will be favourites as they'll cut that Bayern midfield to shreds. I'd expect Bayern to score a few goals too but they are so lightweight in the middle.

In the City/Madrid tie City will pump Madrid.
Arsenal went to penalties with Porto. I'd say Bayern were hot favourites.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.