Champs League Draw

Prestwich_Blue said:
Just been thinking that even if we finish second in the group, the odds could be on a reasonable draw in the last 16. Barcelona will almost certainly win their group as will Chelsea. Hopefully Arsenal will as well. Atletico, Benfica and Porto should also win theirs. Now if Liverpool could somehow edge it against Real Madrid, that means we could get Barca, Atletico, Porto or Benfica. I'd happily take any of those latter three. If Real win the group then we've still got a 60% chance of getting a game I'd fancy us in.

A good point PB. With one less English team in Pot 1 our chances of an easier draw in the last 16 should improve
assuming all Pot 1 teams win their groups. You know and I know though that we'll draw Real Madrid or Barca.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Just been thinking that even if we finish second in the group, the odds could be on a reasonable draw in the last 16. Barcelona will almost certainly win their group as will Chelsea. Hopefully Arsenal will as well. Atletico, Benfica and Porto should also win theirs. Now if Liverpool could somehow edge it against Real Madrid, that means we could get Barca, Atletico, Porto or Benfica. I'd happily take any of those latter three. If Real win the group then we've still got a 60% chance of getting a game I'd fancy us in.

A good point PB. With one less English team in Pot 1 our chances of an easier draw in the last 16 should improve
assuming all Pot 1 teams win their groups. You know and I know though that we'll draw Real Madrid or Barca.

The bolded bit makes it an absolute bobbins point.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2737823/Premier-League-winners-seeds-Champions-League-seeding-revamp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... evamp.html</a>

Interesting (very interesting).

Hopefully

nixmith2 said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2737823/Premier-League-winners-seeds-Champions-League-seeding-revamp.html

Hopefully

Won't that just devalue the competition? You'd have teams not giving a shit about the CL games in order to concentrate on winning their league so they could go into pot 1 and an easier draw the year after.

nixmith2 said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2737823/Premier-League-winners-seeds-Champions-League-seeding-revamp.html

Hopefully

It will be interesting to see how they do Pot 2, 3 and 4 though.
-Do you rank them on coefficient?
-Do you say 2nd place in Leagues ranked 1-6 and Champions of leagues ranked 8-9 get Pot 2, 3rd place in leagues ranked 1-3, champions of leagues ranked 10-13 in Pot 3, then rank the rest (playoff qualifiers) by coefficient? etc... That would leave something like this:

Pot 1:-------------------Pot 2:---------------------Pot 3:------------------------------Pot 4:
Atletico Madrid-----------Barcelona-----------------Chelsea-----------------------------Zenit
Manchester City--------- Liverpool------------------Schalke-----------------------------Bayer Leverkusen
Bayern Munchen--------- Borussia Dortmund---------Basel-------------------------------Athletic Bilbao
Benfica-------------------Sporting CP---------------Galatasaray (Fenerbache banned)----APOEL
Juventus-----------------Roma---------------------Olympiacos--------------------------BATE
CSKA Moscow------------Monaco-------------------Anderlecht--------------------------Ludogerets
PSG----------------------Shakhtar Donetsk---------Arsenal------------------------------Maribor
Real Madrid---------------Ajax----------------------Porto-------------------------------Malmo

Obviously that still leaves a lot of strength across all pots.

Do you say that French and Russian leagues aren't competitive enough to warrant 1st seeds and replace them with 2nd from leagues ranked 1&2?
Arsenal, Chelsea, Porto all in pot 3, is that right...
It will still leave a group of Death possibility: Bayern Munchen, Barcelona, Chelsea, Zenit
But at least we won't get groups containing Domestic league champions from top ranked leagues (1-7) all in the same group. (Us, Bayern, CSKA)

Anyway there's a lot of fiddling, maybe some else has a better way of doing Pots 2-4?

That's what I was wondering - will revamp be only for POT 1 or all other pots?

I don't think it will be for all other pots. Though this revamp would really add to excitement of group stage as we would have 5-6 groups with 2 very strong teams, if they would put Chelsea for ex. from last year PL table, in third group, Arsenal in 4th, than we could theoretically have some absolute stunning groups with all 4 top quality teams.

Don't think they'll go as far.

Anyway, this change won't necessarily save anyone of tough draw, quite contrary, many will have much harder one, and we would only have a use of it if 3 PL clubs would be in all different pots. If we would win the league this year and be in pot 1 next season, while other 3 PL clubs would be in pot 2, not much would really change. We still couldn't play any of them so we would be left with some hard choices from pot 2 again - one of Barca/Real, Atletico and Dortmund + 2 more.

Wow, I'm amazed they're actually doing something about it. Of course once the "big" clubs have had a word in their ear, it'll probably end up as a shit version of what they originally intended.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.