Champs League Draw

I think the biggest talking point of TV pairings from our draw yesterday is why couldn't we have been paired with Arsenal, I can't see for the life of me why we were placed in pot E. Surely on the TV pairings rule we should have still had free choice of group (bar Chelsea's and Arsenal) and then depending on what group we got would have limited Liverpool's choices, but our choices shouldn't have been limited.

squirtyflower said:
Danamy said:
squirtyflower said:
Arse above Chelsea?

Says it all when Arsenal, who haven't won the league for a decade and Liverpool who haven't won it in two have more sway than two teams who have won it five times between them in the last decade
Welcome to the Champions League

I'm sure it would be more about splitting Arsenal and Chelsea up with them both being in London, I'm sure we were always split with the Rags when (hahaha) they were in it?
You'd think so wouldn't you but we have been paired with the rags and with Arsenal, yet this year it's Chelsea
Can't think of any reasonable logic behind the continual change

As I said earlier, Chelsea fans will watch Chelsea, rags fans will watch the rags, Arsenal fans will watch Arsenal, City fans will watch City and so on that audience whatever night they play will be the same (give or take personal circumstances across the globe). So if Liverpool are playing the same night as the rags, the rags will watch the rags and the dippers will watch Liverpool - effectively the same audiences. You won't get more Liverpool fans watching Liverpool just because they're not playing the same night as the rags.

Its the neutral football fans that dictate whether there will be a bigger audience and that 'largely' will be dictated by the opposition. As the opposition are 'supposedly' unknown prior to the draw it is impossible to predict audiences, which makes this pre-ordained pairing a joke and to my mind just a way of fixing the draw.

Its a complete joke that TV companies dictate the structure of a draw and effectively the groups. It's a fix and is proven time after time, year after year.

squirtyflower said:
Danamy said:
squirtyflower said:
Arse above Chelsea?

Says it all when Arsenal, who haven't won the league for a decade and Liverpool who haven't won it in two have more sway than two teams who have won it five times between them in the last decade
Welcome to the Champions League

I'm sure it would be more about splitting Arsenal and Chelsea up with them both being in London, I'm sure we were always split with the Rags when (hahaha) they were in it?
You'd think so wouldn't you but we have been paired with the rags and with Arsenal, yet this year it's Chelsea

In that case you've beat me, I haven't got a scobby doo?

Danamy said:
squirtyflower said:
Danamy said:

In that case you've beat me, I haven't got a scobby doo?
I've been scratching my head since the tall bald guy said "Manchester City, ah they are in....... E"

MCFC1993 said:
I think the biggest talking point of TV pairings from our draw yesterday is why couldn't we have been paired with Arsenal, I can't see for the life of me why we were placed in pot E. Surely on the TV pairings rule we should have still had free choice of group (bar Chelsea's and Arsenal) and then depending on what group we got would have limited Liverpool's choices, but our choices shouldn't have been limited.

+1. Exactly, I still can't figure out why this was pre-determined.

So UEFA reported that no teams complained after yesterday's draw? You would think that champion of fairness Arsene "crybaby" Wenger would have volunteered to move to Pot 2 so the English champions could be in Pot 1.

Just a thought about the TV pairings, common sense dictates when 4 teams from the same country are in the draw, logically they want 2 teams each night, so unless there is a logical geographical / policing issues eg city & Rags (lol), the first 2 teams from that country should be put on separate sides of the draw, the 3rd side would then still have a choice of both sides, and only the side drawn out last would have to go to a pre-determined side, to prevent a 3 to 1 split.

Bearing in mind the simple f***kers running this shambles, it could be as simple as blue side Chelsea and City, red side Arsenal and Liverpool, they wont have a clue what to if a non blue, or non red team qualify!

it annoys me that there is so little time after the draw to the 1st game. This makes booking flights / time off work a ball ache.
i realise they want to know the teams that have qualified via the play offs to be able to do the draw.....but what a rush! surely theres a better way to allow more time to plan?
if we would of drawn moscow away 1st game - getting the visa would of been tricky!

Danamy said:
squirtyflower said:
was just going to ask the same question as Blue Mooner

why Chelsea?
When was it decided?
Why weren't they upfront with it at the start of the draw?
Why didn't they show the ramifications for each club in advance?
Why was our pairing Arsenal last year?
Why was it scum the two years before that?

What is the TV companies' rationale for the pairings?

To be fair my nipper told me prior to the draw we were paired with Chelsea but how they come about that decision I'm not so sure?

I guess because, just glancing at last season's viewing figures, the London clubs tended to get smaller viewing figures than us and the Rags especially, so they perhaps wanted to split us and Dippers for the same reason, and probably bank on us getting a tougher draw to boost figures, I mean they have a 4/6 chance of us getting Barca/Real/Bayern/Atleti, the same for the Dippers and thus the likelihood of us getting bigger ties makes us more marketable in the group stage. Plus Plzen drew piss poor figures so giving us Roma tidies up the group figures.

Just been thinking that even if we finish second in the group, the odds could be on a reasonable draw in the last 16. Barcelona will almost certainly win their group as will Chelsea. Hopefully Arsenal will as well. Atletico, Benfica and Porto should also win theirs. Now if Liverpool could somehow edge it against Real Madrid, that means we could get Barca, Atletico, Porto or Benfica. I'd happily take any of those latter three. If Real win the group then we've still got a 60% chance of getting a game I'd fancy us in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.