Champs League Draw

Blue Mist said:
.....A word of caution, remember how they changed the rules to allow the dippers to defend their trophy ? I don't know how they will do it but they want the Rags in it for the money. Until we bring in a global audience that sells advertising they wont do f*ck for us.

Yes, I was wondering about this - UEFA will hate MUFC not to be in the big cup and I cannot see them returning to it this year. Their best chance, IMO, would have been via the Europa Cup but they didn't get into that (lol).

A friend of mine believes Ryan Giggs was told to mess up the back end of last season to ensure they did not have the numerous (lesser) Europa games, plus the awkward Thursday/Sunday fixtures, but I'm not so sure.

Does anyone know when it was decided that winning the Europa Cup 2015, year would get you a CL place?

Was it around the time Utd were in 5th/6th last season, by any chance!

Blue Mooner said:
aguero93:20 said:
squirtyflower said:
nail head

i've read all the explanations, and even with my degree in Statistics i've struggled to comprehend them
but i do know the chances of drawing the same team three times out of a possible four are corrupted
We had to go in the same half of the draw as Chelsea, so once they were put in group G (second half, E to H), we only had 3 possibilities- E, F and H. The first two pot 2 teams to be drawn out (PSG and Shaktar) went in groups F&H. So regardless of when we came out of the bowl after that, we were going in group E. If another team had been drawn out third, they wouldn't have put group E into the bowl as a possibility.

'We had to go in the same half of the draw as Chelsea.... why ?' (I know the answer is tv) That in itself says the draw is corrupt. It makes no sense, I have no idea why this would maximise audiences for TV. If you support Chelsea, you support Chelsea irrespective of whether MCFC, Liverpool, or Arsenal are playing on another channel - therefore by rights the audiences should be the same irrespective of which night the game is on.

If there are neutrals who support none of those clubs but like watching champs league games they would pick the game that is most attractive to them on the night and as the opposition is unkown pre the draw, no one can predict which game those neutrals would pick. Presumearably if you are neutral you would rather watch MCFC v Bayern for example than Liverpool v Ludgoretz (even if Liverpool are a more popular side)

Therefore this concept of City must play the same night as Chelsea makes absolutely no sense other than it is put in place for corrupt purposes. Anyone who tries to defend this as a City fan has to be demented surely ?
I'm not defending it but while Sky are paying £80m and upwards a year for TV rights and even more so when BT increase that to £200m+, there's going to be two English teams on a Tuesday and two on a Wednesday. It would have been fairer to give us a free run and hoof Liverpool (the lower ranked) into the half that only held one when they came out imo but unfortunately they prefer to do the pairings beforehand.

squirtyflower said:
was just going to ask the same question as Blue Mooner

why Chelsea?
When was it decided?
Why weren't they upfront with it at the start of the draw?
Why didn't they show the ramifications for each club in advance?
Why was our pairing Arsenal last year?
Why was it scum the two years before that?

What is the TV companies' rationale for the pairings?

To be fair my nipper told me prior to the draw we were paired with Chelsea but how they come about that decision I'm not so sure?

squirtyflower said:

why Chelsea?
When was it decided?

I think they want to keep the two most watched teams apart (Arse and Pool this year). I'm pretty sure it was on UEFA's website before the draw.

squirtyflower said:

why Chelsea?
When was it decided?

I think they want to keep the two most watched teams apart (Arse and Pool this year). I'm pretty sure it was on UEFA's website before the draw.
Arse above Chelsea?

Says it all when Arsenal, who haven't won the league for a decade and Liverpool who haven't won it in two have more sway than two teams who have won it five times between them in the last decade
Welcome to the Champions League

squirtyflower said:
squirtyflower said:

why Chelsea?
When was it decided?

Arse above Chelsea?

Says it all when Arsenal, who haven't won the league for a decade and Liverpool who haven't won it in two have more sway than two teams who have won it five times between them in the last decade
It could have been Pool and Chelsea for all I know tbh, I'm not privy to how they're chosen, just offering a logical suggestion as to how they might be chosen.
I do seem to remember that the two grief merchants always seemed to be playing on different nights back in the 'sky 4' days.

squirtyflower said:
squirtyflower said:

why Chelsea?
When was it decided?

Arse above Chelsea?

I'm sure it would be more about splitting Arsenal and Chelsea up with them both being in London, I'm sure we were always split with the Rags when (hahaha) they were in it?

squirtyflower said:
Arse above Chelsea?

It could have been Pool and Chelsea for all I know tbh, I'm not privy to how they're chosen, just offering a logical suggestion as to how they might be chosen.
I do seem to remember that the two grief merchants always seemed to be playing on different nights back in the 'sky 4' days.
I can't remember that far back!

Wasn't having a pop at you mate, I'm just frustrated that the TV companies, regardless of the money they put in, are able to engineer a draw that they want

Why not just be upfront and let them draw it all the way to the final, tell the teams the scores then make them go out and perform to the script, the reality of the Theatre of Dreams

Danamy said:
squirtyflower said:
Arse above Chelsea?

I'm sure it would be more about splitting Arsenal and Chelsea up with them both being in London, I'm sure we were always split with the Rags when (hahaha) they were in it?
You'd think so wouldn't you but we have been paired with the rags and with Arsenal, yet this year it's Chelsea
Can't think of any reasonable logic behind the continual change

squirtyflower said:
squirtyflower said:
Arse above Chelsea?

I can't remember that far back!

Wasn't having a pop at you mate, I'm just frustrated that the TV companies, regardless of the money they put in, are able to engineer a draw that they want

Why not just be upfront and let them draw it all the way to the final, tell the teams the scores then make them go out and perform to the script, the reality of the Theatre of Dreams
If they do that I definitely want to be on the inside :) clean the bookies out!
They're cunts alright, but it just makes it more satisfying for me when we win tbh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.