Chance conversion for and against

Pep needs to play the double pivot against the better teams as well. We need go stop conceding soft goals.

Liverpool first leg :
9 shots, 5 on target, 3 of these goals. (First 30 minutes it was more crazy like 4 shots, 3 on target, 3 goals.)
Liverpool 2nd leg:
5 shots, 3 of them on target out of that 2 goals last night.
United at the weekend:
5 shots, 4 on target out of those 3 goals.

For us:

first leg Pool: 11 shot, 0 on target no goals obv.
2nd leg: 20 shots, 3 on target, 1 goal of these
United:20 shots, 6 on target, 2 goals of these

combined from these 3 games:
City:
51 shots, 9 on target (~20%), 3 goals

vs opponents combined :
19 shots, 12 on target (~63%), 8 goals.

Shocking imo, any explanation?

With nearly making only third of the shots we make they have more on target and more goals in these 3 games combined.

I know refs were at is all 3 games but defensively this is still madness how can they make 12 shot on targets in 3 games and score 8 fucking times of those?

Why is our defence so easy on them? basically when they make a shot its a good chance they are not disturbed much and have time on them to direct those shots very well.

Immense conversation rate for them and like wasting big chances, half chances and blocked shots for us...

(all stats from whoscored.)
Yes....we are an attacking team which makes us vulnerable/easier to score against on the counter attack as we commit more players forward whereas other teams are more solid at the back against us! Not rocket science really

I don’t think there’s much we can do to be honest. This system has defenders running all over the pitch and we’re seemingly always open to one ball cutting us up. I think whoever you put in our system the top players in Europe will always find a way of exploiting it.

thats true but someone like Pepe who is mad about every small detail to be perfect it cant be good enough for him.

Last season we conceded 6 goals vs Monaco and they did missed sitters especially in first leg too.
This season we conceded 5 goals vs Liverpool.

We need to improve on this surely and not hope that we keep winning games 4-3, 5-3, and 5-4 in CL later stages. Thats madness.

Basically only improvement to go further came from getting more luck at the draw and getting Basel first round. Winning the group got us that but PSG won the group and got Real Madrid, Besiktas won the group and got Bayern so that could have backfired as well.

thats true but someone like Pepe who is mad about every small detail to be perfect it cant be good enough for him.

Last season we conceded 6 goals vs Monaco and they did missed sitters especially in first leg too.

We need to improve on this surely and not hope that we keep winning games 4-3, 5-3, and 5-4 in CL later stages. Thats madness.

Basically only improvement to go further came from getting more luck at the draw and getting Basel first round. Winning the group got us that but PSG won the group and got Real Madrid, Besiktas won the group and got Bayern so that could have backfired as well.
Sadly I don’t think peps style of play will reward him with another CL. It worked with Barca because they had unbelievable players and obviously Messi as well. He has a knack of getting hammered away from home against the top sides in Europe and It’s obviously his style of play which is the cause of that. If pep hasn’t learnt to be more solid against the better sides by now in his managements career then he probably never will. Too stubborn imo.

Sadly I don’t think peps style of play will reward him with another CL. It worked with Barca because they had unbelievable players and obviously Messi as well. He has a knack of getting hammered away from home against the top sides in Europe and It’s obviously his style of play which is the cause of that. If pep hasn’t learnt to be more solid against the better sides by now in his managements career then he probably never will. Too stubborn imo.

well I agree he lost his CL mojo already at Bayern in terms of winning it, 3 semis at Bayern lost all 3. My disappointment is that here at City we brought him in to really do the breaktrough in CL for us. Who else if not Guardiola and I completely agreed. And now the odds is up against him to even get a semifinal in 3 years unless we got shit good luck with the draw. But he is still getting better luck then Pellegrini who got Barca 2 times in first round vs Monaco/Basel.

Some pragmatism will be needed for City later in CL especially in later stages, grind out results especially in away ties, hold onto leads etc.

Can Pep do this I am not sure. this kind of defending will keep getting punished in later stages.

If we do improve and get more clever refs still can fuck us tho.

TBH I don’t think it’s fairly obvious, or at least I think there’s a fairly good starting point...

Most of those chances we’ve missed in those games are by Bernardo, Sterling,Sane, Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho... while Kun has been on the bench. I don’t think Pep appreciates the importance of having someone who can score goals consistently, making them himself, getting on the end of things and just adding that extra threat to defenders. He’s our highest ever goal scorer and we needed goals!! He needed more than 20 minutes!! And if he wasn’t fit then it just highlights that we should have had a third striker all season, someone who’s gifted in the area of putting chances away. Our midfielders have scored loads this season but have also missed a hell of a lot!

TBH I don’t think it’s fairly obvious, or at least I think there’s a fairly good starting point...

Most of those chances we’ve missed in those games are by Bernardo, Sterling,Sane, Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho... while Kun has been on the bench. I don’t think Pep appreciates the importance of having someone who can score goals consistently, making them himself, getting on the end of things and just adding that extra threat to defenders. He’s our highest ever goal scorer and we needed goals!! He needed more than 20 minutes!! And if he wasn’t fit then it just highlights that we should have had a third striker all season, someone who’s gifted in the area of putting chances away. Our midfielders have scored loads this season but have also missed a hell of a lot!

I agree. If we would have had Liverpool's front three, we would be through. Look at Bayern, Real Madrid etc. they have killers in the box. Teams would kill for the chances we get, we just don't have consistent goal scorers on the end of them - For example Sterling gets his goals through timing his runs, not running through the middle like a traditional striker

We have lost 3 on the spin and Aguero has spent the vast majority of those games not on the pitch. I think that is telling. Over the years he has scored frequesnlty and played well V United and Liverpool. Basically, we are too light up front

we didn't create many clear cut opportunities in the tie, and on Saturday they did but they nearly all fell to Sterling.

Too many lofted crosses to their big CBs, too many pot shots from range, we've neglected the build-up play we used to great effect at the start of the season.

Unless everyone is fresh and working at 100%, our attack to defence transition is pretty naff, and Liverpool just ran through it. We only have 1 midfielder willing to play deep and work consistently hard in that area to win the ball back and he's 32, on a poor run and fatigued. I don't know whether the answer is moving back away from Dave and Kev together next season in favour of a deeper midfielder, or 3-5-2 with Mendy and a proper LB in reserve, but we'll keep getting picked apart until we have enough cover there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.