Change VAR or.................

Only really read this post int he thread and I think your points about the offside law are well made. You'll get why I am very fond of going back to first principles on things like this. My perspective starts with the idea that the offside law was introduced to stop goal hanging, which of course is a way of gaining an unfair advantage. These hairline offsides are not what the law was introduced to prevent and, as something of a traditionalist of these matters, I think the law and its interpretation should still reflect first principles.

Also, professional sport is ultimately meant to be entertaining and goals are a major part of the entertainment value of football so they should only be disallowed when they absolutely have to be.

On the entertainment front, VAR is a #%&*ing killer. I just sat in my seat for the first three goals City scored yesterday, waiting to see if or what VAR would do. I have never been in favour of VAR and hate it with a passion. Waiting for decisions is not part of the football I want to watch and have watched for 50 years.

If it doesn’t improve, what will you do? I found myself yesterday thinking “what am I doing here. I could be doing something else” it is seriously affecting my enjoyment of the game that I have watched live for over 40 years.

I think the problem with that one is its happened in other games and the call has been inconsistent - as terrible as some of the offside ones have been with players arms and toes being offside, at least they have been for the most part consistent
Do you have any examples of where a goal has been awarded after the ball has hit an attacking player on the arm?

If it doesn’t improve, what will you do? I found myself yesterday thinking “what am I doing here. I could be doing something else” it is seriously affecting my enjoyment of the game that I have watched live for over 40 years.

Those that know me on here will know I hate negative moaners about city. But I have not been for the last 2 games. I can’t tell you how much I hate var. I can’t enjoy a goal. The two spurs games left me flat for days. If it carries on I won’t be going next season. 37 years and maybe 50 home games missed in all that time and 2 already this week. It is a fix to allow Liverpool to win it. It 100 percent is. I can’t stand the fact I can’t celebrate a goal.

Symbolic protests will have no impact. Only a serious threat of financial loss will get results. Examples of this happening are quite rare and difficult to organize.

the only example of this happening successfully I can recall was in Scotland after the former Rangers FC were liquidated. A successor club (Sevco) emerged through purchase of assets from the liquidator. The majority (if not all?) of Scottish Premiership clubs were prepared to fast track this new club if not into the Premiership straight into the Scottish Championship.

The fans across Scotland acted almost in unison and told their clubs that if this happened they were out. The clubs took this to heart and blocked Sevco from joking the Premiership or Championship and made them start at the (then) bottom of the pyramid in League Two.

Unfortunately, I can’t see that sort of scenario happening for VAR as top English clubs are not really reliant on season ticket and gate income as Scottish teams given the TV income here.

I was in favour of VAR before it came in remembering some of the diabolical refereeing decisions that have gone against City over the years. Other innovations such as goal line technology have come in and been praised by most if not all.

I imagined that VAR would operate as in Rugby League and Cricket where the Referee/Umpire will talk through the incident on the big screen and explain their decisions. Instead we have a ‘purple screen of death’ and no justification given. Some outcomes are pretty obvious but fail to overturn the referee’s original decision while others are overturned by someone’s armpit being 1 mm offside. This is despite the unreliability of video evidence for offside.

Thr current situation is a shambles and most fans (outside of Anfield) recognise that. The question is how to sort it out. I don’t see that arguing for going back to the old situation is likely to work. I wish I knew what would.

Some simple tweaks to VAr:
1. Have the ref and stockly park miked and videoed.
To ensure impartiality.

2. Enforce all PL grounds to have VAR screens.
To ensure impartiality

3. Allow retrospective use of matches video to rescind/add yellows/reds after a match irrespective of ref’s match report.
To ensure the rules of the game are adhered to and to help impartiality.

4. Compile and publish list of any ‘missed’ incidents per game - offsides, fouls, obstructions etc
To help impartiality and clamp down on cheating

harder tweaks to VAR:
1. Better define ‘clear and obvious’ for use of VAR.
Offsides - as pointed out by many. If it’s only offside by the width of pixels it’s not ‘clear and obvious’ offside.

2. Any incident notified to ref by team, to be reviewed - similar to cricket reviews.
on your 2nd point the 2 supposedly biggest clubs in the world who were against VAR don't have a big screen in their ground …...hmmmm

Sorry if it’s been said already but replays of VAR can’t be shown on ‘big screens’ as two arguably ‘ big’ teams don’t have them! (although for rugby league final at OT, they had one.
Also I’ve said this,
If all places are finalised , champions and relegation places , by the last day of the season, don’t go to that last game!
Save your time and money, spend time with your loved ones watching in pub ( I don’t drink but hey ho), and watch it on television .
For those loyal supporters ( every game ones ) you are the exception, the ground will be open

It doesn’t work anywhere no matter how many leagues do it in different ways because the elation from the moment the ball hits the net has disappeared as everyone now thinks “will VAR find something to disallow it?”

That elation will come back though if VAR ends up only overruling a fraction of goals? It’s overruling so many at the mo that people know every goal is checked.

As someone else suggested, if we scrapped it all together for offsides, then I’m sure everything would be back to how it is. Except if someone pushes a defender over moments before scoring and the ref misses it then it can be correctly overruled

With regards to corruption. Genuine question. Could anyone point me in the direction of a VAR decision that’s gone against us that you believe to be corrupt?
Gabriel Jesus winner v Spurs
Alexander Arnold handball v Liverpool
Mane push on Sterling v Liverpool
Sterling's goal v Chelsea (weren’t there a lot of bookies set to lose a lot of money for “City 3-1” or “City v Chelsea +3.5 goals”?)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.