Chelsea (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Foden was wank. Nowt to do with Pep mate.
By the time the ball got to Phil ( and in that regard Ake was the main problem) Azpilaqueta had the time to get close and close him down. I don't think he had a clear run at him once. If Pep is telling him to stay high and wide he cant come deep to get it. Fast forward, and Jack get's it early and does him more than once. I felt sympathy for Phil, but sometime you have to affect the game yourself.

I honestly couldn't get my head around that first half formation last night, we had Walker and Cancelo basically playing in the same position, Bernardo fuck knows where he was supposed to be, Stones and Ake playing on the halfway line, Haaland cutting an exasperated figure up top, his best work all night was two defensive headers.
It was a total mess but you just know Pep will try it again before the season is out, probably in a highly important fixture and it will cost us

Interestingly on the radio last night they had a lad from Brentford who was in the team that beat us and they said they weren’t worried about the wingers because they knew they never went to the by line to cross in or pull back, that for me is where we could be effective with Haaland more and allow others to make late runs.
That's just stating the obvious though, most the time we play wingers with their strongest foot on the opposite side (mahrez on the right, grealish on the left) so yeah they never are going to go right to the byline as they so often cut inside back on their favored foot.

That explains why Haaland may some time cut a frustrated figure as cutting back/inside goes against his strengths.

I can only imagine how deadly he would've been in a front three with the pace of Sane and Sterling either side of him.

I honestly couldn't get my head around that first half formation last night, we had Walker and Cancelo basically playing in the same position, Bernardo fuck knows where he was supposed to be, Stones and Ake playing on the halfway line, Haaland cutting an exasperated figure up top, his best work all night was two defensive headers.
It was a total mess but you just know Pep will try it again before the season is out, probably in a highly important fixture and it will cost us
Thought Bernado was absolutely immense - for 20 mins in the second half, and than he yanked him! Cucarela must have wondered what hit him. No one attacks him for 45 mins than Bernie does him 4/5 times in 20 mins.
Wouldn't supprise me if we saw Bernie out wide in the cup at weekend.

I'm not sure what's going on with Pep, but i can only think he's trying to adjust how we play because we now have Haaland and not an extra body in midfield in the false 9 (or a runner like Jesus). But the answer was clearly not playing Cancelo at RB/RW and Walker at CB, KDB in front 3? I do feel like playing Cancelo at LB, Walker at RB, Ake at CB and KDB in the 8 would've been a different game. In the end we were quite fortunate to win, although it was displayed as a masterstroke of Pep going back to his previous lineup as a huge 'told you so'. Chelsea are in deep shit at the moment, loads of injuries and even in the game they had injuries, but we made them look fairly decent like we did with Everton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.