Chelsea (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Secondly, when Sterling came off and walked past the away end - the majority of City fans were clapping and a loud chorus of 'Raheem Sterling, he is top of the league' - but not even the slightest of nods or recognition - I thought that was a bit shity...but am I wrong?
Not great, the only thing I might say in his favour is that he may be so worried about his injury that he was a bit oblivious to everything else.
Might be a bit rude though

I think Pep is wrestling with the conundrum of playing Haaland, whilst still maintaining the level of control and possession we had with a false nine. That is why Rico is such a bonus, playing like a centre midfielder from full back. Pep will work it out, but we are going to see a few surprising team selections along the way.

As for Foden, it will take him a while to shake off the impact of 7 weeks being coached (ruined) by the dinosaur that is Southgate.

Pep menti9ned something about thinking they’d play a 5 at the back that’s why Cancelo was there to get in behind, they didn’t play that so his formation wasn’t working, he needs to stop fucking about and settle for a system that’s tried tested and bloody works. I’m still not a fan of the inverted winger. Interestingly on the radio last night they had a lad from Brentford who was in the team that beat us and they said they weren’t worried about the wingers because they knew they never went to the by line to cross in or pull back, that for me is where we could be effective with Haaland more and allow others to make late runs.
The problem with sticking with the same system is that the opposition work out how to stop you playing. Look at Spain in the World Cup.
I applaud Pep for trying something new and for changing what wasn't working. Maybe this formation would have worked if Walker and Cancelo had been back around a bit longer?
Rodri was superb at alternating between centre back and defensive mid. That bit definitely worked.

By the time the ball got to Phil ( and in that regard Ake was the main problem) Azpilaqueta had the time to get close and close him down. I don't think he had a clear run at him once. If Pep is telling him to stay high and wide he cant come deep to get it. Fast forward, and Jack get's it early and does him more than once. I felt sympathy for Phil, but sometime you have to affect the game yourself.
Phil was just off it mate.

Certainly a difficult game last night, regardless of Chelsea issues I expected them to be a problem. Always feels like they could hit you with a set piece or counter.

The first half formation was a slight change to the recent set up. But it was also the first time some World Cup players had played in it.

I didn't find the formation hugely frustrating, it was the ridiculous amount of cheap turnovers from players who know far better. There was a huge space generated by Cucurella having to come out to the touchline and we failed to make use of it. Cancelo in particular wasted numerous opportunities. The idea was to get KDB or Gundo into a space to cross for Haaland etc.

Our pressing after those turnovers was pretty weak too.

Second half - the two subs had an immediate difference - they know the system better. We started pinning them in properly and Bernardo was terrorising Cucurella.

Mahrez took over and did the same. KDB should've scored before the goal, but it was brilliantly worked and regardless of Kepa (£70m btw) it's great to see Grealish contributing (4 assists in last 3 games)

Last 20 minutes is hard to analyse as I thought Chelsea did similar to Leicester and just started throwing players forward in big numbers. Hard to deal with - but Haaland had a great chance for 2-0 which would've made for an easier last few minutes!

I do think this new system is working. It just needs tweaking for the back 5 teams - maybe Alvarez second striker?

P.S John Stones in this form is incredible. What a player.

Just back - not going to repeat what everyone has said...but 3 points is all that matters.

Two, non-pitch related thoughts: Was sitting behind Noel Gallagher and his two kids, and he has the patience of a saint with everyone stepping over the kids to shove an iphone in his face. I know that's the price of fame today - but I did think the relentless selfie demand is a bit much. But credit to the lad.

Secondly, when Sterling came off and walked past the away end - the majority of City fans were clapping and a loud chorus of 'Raheem Sterling, he is top of the league' - but not even the slightest of nods or recognition - I thought that was a bit shity...but am I wrong?

A bit of a shame how it all ended, really. He was fantastic for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.