Chelsea (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

To be fair, several fans are saying the same about their teams.......

It's why the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle or ManUre can't be discounted as title contenders, alongside the Dippers who're well capable of going on a winning run. This season matches the 2019/20 season for being so fragmented & strange.
The first 3 might challenge if they're very lucky and we're crap.
The dippers won't - too far behind and VVD's got hamstring trouble and they're fucked if they lose him. I'd be more worried about Spurs than the dippers so it's crucial that we take points off them this season - bit of a bogey team lately, and we've got them twice in quick succession soon.
We can build on last night. Games are coming thick and fast. Let's hope it's the real turning point of the season as we can't afford to lose any more points (or cup games - I want it all this season!) until we've caught up with Arsenal.

I get that oppos can work you out over time. However, trying to put square pegs in round holes is not going to help us.

For instance Cancelos role last night was never going to work really. He’s in terrible form recently and then playing him out of position is not going to do him or us any favours.

Rodri dropping into CB and Walker looking like he could see that the lads in front of him didn’t know where to be!

Ake, bloody hell! I like him as a CB but at left back he isn’t the same player or a left back! He won’t overlap Foden and he won’t pass him the ball anywhere near enough or correctly, he has Phil constantly playing away from the opposition goal because the pass isn’t creative enough. Easy for a full back to shadow get tight and Shepard a player away from goal. Sometimes Ake then runs and ends up inside foden and in the opposition penalty box! He’s a CB ffs! Zero threat from runs from deep. It’s not his fault he’s asked to play that position. But bloody hell. Zinchenko didn’t even make that run! He stayed on the edge of box to recycle possession or cross, sometimes shoot.

Watching it I just get the impression that some of the lads are not being utilised correctly. And it shows. He thinks Rico is the missing link? Really? In a multiple title Winning team a 18 year old that’s played half a dozen games is the man that makes us play? I don’t understand it. But I’m not Pep and he does know best.

I think your problem is that you're judging things based on a clean slate, where as Pep judges things based on fitness, injuries & knocks, future games, and keeping the squad happy. That's why it's so easy to go on the interest and say 'it should be like this' like most of us do, because we don't have the knowledge of the other stuff or have to put up with the ramifications of having an unsettled squad.

It's pretty obvious that the team at the moment is the way it is because of the World Cup, with players coming back at different points, with some players injured or lacking proper fitness etc. We had more players competing at the competition than anyone and it shows. Pep is slowly starting to bring in players rather than throw them straight back in because he probably feels this will get him greater results long term.

I can only presume @geek24601 is back at school or absolutely choked up that we've won.

Either way he was full of it Saturday and now not a peep.

And i thought you was a happy clapper n all.

Super city.
I'd never come across him before on the board but after the Everton game I put him on Ignore. Couldn't be arsed with that shit.

Job done - and we got the points. 1st half was very poor but would have expected Haaland to at least hit the target when through, over reliance on the left foot.

Pep looked really worried and pissed off before the game started. I think he at that point realised there was a change in Chelsea's system and tried getting a message out to Walker before the minutes applause.

He's trying to find the best system to accommodate Haaland against a low block team imo. With our false 9 system or with Aguero or Jesus they were better footballers than Haaland so could drop in to allow runners etc.

I heard Foden has been carrying an injury for a while hence not been at his best. He also needs a runner outside as he is pulling the fullback with him but then has to go back inside.

I'll take the points and its food for thought. We will have had 4 games in 10 days after the Derby - think a few need managing including Kev - Need to beat the RAGs and Spurs and keep the best team for those games

I watched the game on Bein or whatever it was, with Andy Townsend being pundit. On here everyone's talking about Pep playing our team largely out of position... I didnt understand where this was coming from I mean its how this team has been so so so great over the years so why is it now a problem?

Then I switched to Sky, that red twat Carraghers banging on about Cancelo or whoever being played out of position. and the penny dropped...

Why are you guys, City fans, taking on board what he says (About a club he loathes), and repeating that shite. Its bollocks. I think nearly every player bar Haaland has played out of position over the years and its never been a problem, even in the year lfc won the title.

Really annoys me when City fans parrot what our haters say.

Watched this on a 'river' from Bein, the quality of pictures was less than VHS standard.

At times it was as if they'd put a whole jar of vaseline on the lens , like all the female guest stars on 60s star trek!!

The person hosting it couldn't have sounded more bored. Plastic Townsend on co coms with an Irish guy who was no worse than usual! SWP great as ever.

Proverbial game of two halves. Formation was bonkers first 45, we really were all over the place. Stones made a game saving tackle and earned every penny of his wage packet. Positioning/tactics did them no favours, but Foden and Cancelo were poor.

Ake played well, Lewis is already playing like a veteran, Akanji better. Not kdb's best game but he is a genuine game is changer.

After all the recent brickbats it was nice to see Grealish provide for Mahrez. A massive 3 points. Do we need to play kids in the cups and just go balls out for pl/cl?

Hopefully we'll kick on from here, brilliant away support too.

To be fair, several fans are saying the same about their teams.

To me, the Carabao Cup against the Dippers felt like a Community Shield game, but the playing levels were switched as opposed to what happened in August.

The game against Leeds felt like the first match of the season, & strangely the first round of post-World Cup PL matches went the way expectations would dictate.

This week was the third set of PL matches back, & points are being dropped by all, left right & centre.

No one knows what effect having an early start & a stupid World Cup in the middle of the season will have, but my thinking is the quality teams, with a decent level of squad depth, with no domestic cups or Europe to worry about, will be strongest come April/May.

It's why the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle or ManUre can't be discounted as title contenders, alongside the Dippers who're well capable of going on a winning run. This season matches the 2019/20 season for being so fragmented & strange.
Good analysis (and thought provoking) agree about the lfc game, the pace of it probably hid a thousand sins (tactically) no CL football for the three teams you mentioned tells us the mentally & physically draining nature of the PL CL & a World Cup combined is affecting others heavily, with Chelsea Spurs & Liverpool outside the top four, we are the anomaly, all things considered Pep & the boys are performing miracles, given we are fighting on all fronts. The interesting angle is coaches turning to youth to solve any issues, we’ve obviously used Rico very well & Cole will get plenty of minutes too, Chelsea’s young guns did very well last night also

Thought both cocerella and kouilibaille were poor last night, twixi blinders!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.