Chelsea (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Certainly a difficult game last night, regardless of Chelsea issues I expected them to be a problem. Always feels like they could hit you with a set piece or counter.

The first half formation was a slight change to the recent set up. But it was also the first time some World Cup players had played in it.

I didn't find the formation hugely frustrating, it was the ridiculous amount of cheap turnovers from players who know far better. There was a huge space generated by Cucurella having to come out to the touchline and we failed to make use of it. Cancelo in particular wasted numerous opportunities. The idea was to get KDB or Gundo into a space to cross for Haaland etc.

Our pressing after those turnovers was pretty weak too.

Second half - the two subs had an immediate difference - they know the system better. We started pinning them in properly and Bernardo was terrorising Cucurella.

Mahrez took over and did the same. KDB should've scored before the goal, but it was brilliantly worked and regardless of Kepa (£70m btw) it's great to see Grealish contributing (4 assists in last 3 games)

Last 20 minutes is hard to analyse as I thought Chelsea did similar to Leicester and just started throwing players forward in big numbers. Hard to deal with - but Haaland had a great chance for 2-0 which would've made for an easier last few minutes!

I do think this new system is working. It just needs tweaking for the back 5 teams - maybe Alvarez second striker?

P.S John Stones in this form is incredible. What a player.
Loved the way Stones maturely handled Gallagher when he was being a tit.

Spoke to a Moroccan chap before the game, he said he liked watching City and that (paraphrasing) "City have some players out of form, all that is required tonight is a 1-0 win, and that is enough for now".

Wise bastard. He was right though. That was a great 3 points even if it wasn't done in the way we would have loved to see, twirling wonderball with a Haaland hattrick. Form comes from confidence, which comes from wins like last night. Keep the faith.

great win, and you have to give credit to pep for realizing it wasn't working and changing it at half time

I do see a problem with foden recently.....he rarely drives at the defense, I see a lot of back passes, and I know thats part of peps football but id like to see more from him

By the time the ball got to Phil ( and in that regard Ake was the main problem) Azpilaqueta had the time to get close and close him down. I don't think he had a clear run at him once. If Pep is telling him to stay high and wide he cant come deep to get it. Fast forward, and Jack get's it early and does him more than once. I felt sympathy for Phil, but sometime you have to affect the game yourself.
Ake was in the same slot of Zinny but he's outball was no where near. Same in the previous games when he paired with Grealish. The difference is that Foden could not get the ball vs Grealish would get the ball then be doubled up and kicked every time because all the other 21 players on the pitch knew who and when and how Ake would pass the ball to...

We desperately need a new left back who can put decent cross to the top man since Cancelo's form is falling as well. No disrespect to Ake, he is very good. But Ake is better as a center back in my eyes.

al least he sorted it out, something he normaly doesnt do. dont know whats up with foden , wearing bleeding gloves now.
It's the curse of "you've made it".

His first goal that he worked so hard was to get into the first 11 and he displaced Sterling. Then he got rewarded with playtime, callup to England and a nice contract.

So people relax thinking they've made it but football doesn't stand still.

It's something what Pep said too.. that next step of how to motivate and stay at the top is what differentiates high salary players from all time players like Messi.

Ake was in the same slot of Zinny but he's outball was no where near. Same in the previous games when he paired with Grealish. The difference is that Foden could not get the ball vs Grealish would be doubled up and kicked every time because all the other 21 players on the pitch knew who and when and how Ake would pass the ball to...

We desperately need a new left back since Cancelo's form is falling as well. No disrespect to Ake, he is very good. But Ake is better as a center back in my eyes.

We've needed a left back since Voldemort's first knee surgery. I fucking miss Kolarov's rockets!

500.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.