Chelsea (A) | Post-Match Thread

Admittedly, I didn't see the whole game, just the "highlights" on MOTD.

But I was wondering if, considering the previous three meetings, where Tuchel appears to know how to play against City, if the signing of Lukaku for them could be a mistake? Does he slow them down?

As good as Lukaku is, and as poor as the Werner has been, I think they needed more of a 'fox in the box', pacy, fast- footed player to feed off the fast paced breaks. A Gabriel Jesus type of player.

For me, I'm not sure Lukaku is their answer. Good if you put it over his head to run onto and he'll turn you every time if you go touch tight, but give him a couple of yards and as others have pointed out, he then just becomes a flick on merchant. Alright, maybe a bit sarcastic there, but you get my drift.

He didn’t get any service, Lukaku is good at getting into channels and on the the last mans shoulder. No creativity and City not allowing Chelsea having the ball isolated Lukaku. He is a very good player and turned Laporte on the odd occasion to draw a foul but that was it. City dominated them.

That was a great moment. Wonder if it will catch on: quite an appropriate song for our team.
Heard that a few times away at Southampton over the years, it's always blaring at out the juke box in Yates in Southampton when City take the place over and sing along to it.

Nice to see 100 pages of analysis for a match that we won. Never seen that before.
It's when we lose that the thread goes on and on.
Just watched the highlights of the City-Chelsea game in 2012, when Tevez made his comeback. What a cracking match. And by the way, the atmosphere was electric. I had forgotten that. We can do it, if we want,
at the Etihad.
When I think back to the run-in towards the end of that season. What a roller-coaster, right to the end. We will never see anything like it again. The match against Arsenal — down in the depths. Just thinking, oh well, that's another year we're not going to win it and the rags are. Then West Brom. Walking to the stadium. Woman in her garden, hanging out her washing, shouted “Up the blues”. I replied, but glumly. We played great, as if we had no more cares. Cracking goal from Kun. Then the news coming in from Wigan, and the sense of incredulity in the stadium. A flicker of hope. And then… and then…

Last edited:
Nice to see 100 pages of analysis for a match that we won. Never seen that before.
It's when we lose that the thread goes on and on.
Just watched the highlights of the City-Chelsea game in 2012, when Tevez made his comeback. What a cracking match. And by the way, the atmosphere was electric. I had forgotten that. We can do it, if we want, at the Etihad.
Never been to Stamford Bridge but it always looks a small stadium from the tv coverage - but one where the fans seem really close to the playing service

Never been to Stamford Bridge but it always looks a small stadium from the tv coverage - but one where the fans seem really close to the playing service

I went to the old Stamford Bridge, way back in the sixties. It was a funny old stadium. Quite run down, but with a lot of character. It was one of the very first stadiums I went to, as it happens. The Shed really was just that — a shed. In spring of 1968, during quite a boring match, someone tried to get “Dubcek” going as a chant, but it didn't take.
The problem with the modern Stamford Bridge is that it's got a hotel actually within the precincts of the stadium! I just can't take that seriously, somehow. The concourses are very narrow, as are the steps leading up to seats. But yes, there's a sense of being close to the pitch.

I went to the old Stamford Bridge, way back in the sixties. It was a funny old stadium. Quite run down, but with a lot of character. It was one of the very first stadiums I went to, as it happens. The Shed really was just that — a shed. In spring of 1968, during quite a boring match, someone tried to get “Dubcek” going as a chant, but it didn't take.
The problem with the modern Stamford Bridge is that it's got a hotel actually within the precincts of the stadium! I just can't take that seriously, somehow. The concourses are very narrow, as are the steps leading up to seats. But yes, there's a sense of being close to the pitch.
Wasn’t the old Stamford Bridge one that actually had space behind the goals, or is my memory playing tricks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.