Chelsea (A) - Sat 25 Sep 12:30 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest test in years this. Play our best we win. We need a pep master class for this
exactly all we need is for pep to not over complicate . put fast players in the both wing. put our most creative players on the midfield and put a proper forward no false 9 shite and we win easy

7/4 to win at Chelski , has to be the longest odds we have had for years , Chelsea slight favourites at 13/8 , looks like the bookies are forecasting a very close game , i don't think Tuchel will play gung-ho because we will pick their ageing back line to pieces if they over commit.
The Chavs will play like they always do against us , defensive and solid and hoping to score on the break , this has 0-0 written all over it , but ive got a feeling its about time we nicked a result against Tuchel.So 1-0 to gods own team and Ake to have a man of the match performance , i am allowed to dream

Tuchel will be ready for our false 9 set up. I can see it being tactically similar to the champs league only we’ll also have to deal with lukaku. Unlikely we’ll win but you never know.
It’s be madness to set up in the same way for several games running against them. I’d like to see Jesus as a genuine 9.

Cancello. Dias. Walker. Ake
Thoughts on this back four? Playing Walker at centre half Ake left back if the truth be told that we are short in numbers due to injuries. Maybe chenko for ake

Ignore bud, I was having a brain fart. Pressed reply to your post by mistake and then couldn't get away from quoting it.
So if you were having the issue I think you were having, here's a possible solution.

There are 3 vertical dots on the top right side of the comment box next to the preview button (the thing with the magnifying glass in the very top right corner).

Click on those dots, and you'll see 3 new options appear beneath. The one in the middle that looks like square brackets, click on that. It'll make the quote box into html format (or whatever it's called) and you can delete it. Click on the square brackets again to remove the formatting if you ever want to.

A slightly more long-winded solution is to click on the thing next to the square brackets that looks like a floppy disc and select 'delete draft' and then refresh the page.

If this wasn't the issue, then apologies for wasting your time.

Ederson

Walker Dias Ake Cancelo

De Bruyne Rodri Bernardo

Mahrez Foden Grealish

Dinho for Rodri if he's not fit. Sterling shouldn't be anywhere near starting XI, doesn't seem arsed at the moment. Bring on Torres 2nd half to run at their hopefully tired backline.

Hope we win but will take a draw, Chelsea are strong af this season

I think he’s going to match their shape.

I don’t think he trusts Fernandinho can play the 6 by himself against these, so he’ll drop Gundogan alongside him.

I also can’t think of any plausible reason why he would take Wilson-Esbrand off on Tuesday night unless he’d seen enough to think he could hold his own against these.

That back 7 is the only way I can see us playing that shape because they are all who are available. The front 3 could well have Grealish or Bernado in there, we have plenty of options in there.

………..Ederson
…Walker…Dias….Ake
Cancelo…….Wilson-Esbrand
.….Ferna…..Gundo
……KDB……………Foden
……………Jesus

Last edited:
If we go there without two DMs, we will get picked apart IN FRONT OF THE BACK FOUR.

The other place they pick teams apart is with the blind side overload. Their two AMs make cross runs, with the right side attacker moving from right to left, dragging the Left Back inside with him, opening up the entire right side of the danger area around the 18 yard box…and the same thing on the other side. This is how Reese James & Alonso get so many chances.

Their entire game is to overload the back 4 by giving them 5 players to mark (LB, RAM, CF, LAM, RB), with their two “DMs” patrolling the 25-30 yard line for anything that comes back.

Meanwhile their Back 3 have the extra man (or two) to blunt any long ball designed to relieve the pressure they’re putting on the opposition…and it gets fed right back into the DMs to recycle.

For me, the reason City haven’t dint well against them is because Tuchel plays a tweaked Pep formation, with less rotational motion on the field. That gives them strong “boxes” of players all over the field to douse any pressure from the opposition and take back the ball.

When they do lose the ball, if they don’t get it back quickly, they collapse back into a 5-4-1 defensive shell.

In Pep’s system, our 2nd & 3rd attackers (often the RM & LM rather than the wide players in our system) are very rarely seen as defenders when things break down, and thus we rely on our 4-1 to initially defend the box. That’s just not enough people to cover the attacking overloads Chelsea try to impose on their opposition.

I see most people have our midfield as Rodri/Ferna as a DM and then 2 of KDB/Gundo/Bernardo/Foden as our other two midfielders, with 3 of Mahrez/Sterling/Torres/Jesus/Grealish as our attackers.

When losing the ball, does anyone really see 3 or 4 of those midfielders and attackers as putting in a (real) defensive shift?

In short, I believe Chelsea’s formation, and the personnel they employ in it, don’t allow teams to actually attack Chelsea’s biggest weakness, which is their defence!

Their wing backs supplementing their 2 DMs and 2 AMs, plus Lukaku as their striker, gives them a solidity that few teams can resist, or impose on Chelsea with their own personnel.

We need to pin back their FBs, and create one on ones in their back five whenever possible. If we can do that, while containing their fast break, we can win (if we take our chances).

If we cannot use a Back 4 + 1 DM to blunt their 5 man attack, with our other 2 midfielders putting in a defensive shift, we could get overrun in the middle of the park and our final third.

Who plays and our system is going to be interesting.

However, of more importance was seeing how (at Spurs) Tuchel turned his 5-2-2-1 into a 5-3-2 (with one of the 3, in this case Kante, playing the role of the second AM going forward) at half time. In short order, they grabbed hold of the midfield, overrunning and overpowering Spurs.

Watching him ruthlessly institute a Plan B (5-3-1-1) at HT, because his 5-2-2-1 wasn’t imposing itself on Spurs, was both interesting and scary in its effectiveness.

We will have to play significantly better than we did against Soton if we are going to get anything (including a draw) out of them.

Fingers and toes crossed we can and do.

Coming away from there with only 10 points from 18, with PSG (A) in the CL a few days later and Liverpool (A) the following weekend could blow up our PL early on if it turns into 10 from 21 points and a CL loss against a team we beat twice last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.