Chelsea (A) - Sun 18th Aug, 16:30 | PL | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've already beat Chelsea and the Rags without Rodri this summer

Hopefully we've learnt how to deal with his absence a little bit better

Not a betting man but i have heard Phillips is no where near the team.

unsure if sarcastic or not......

It will be interesting to say the least how we set up on Sunday. In Rodri’s absence at the weekend we looked particularly vulnerable to counter attacks which was a Chelsea specialty against us last season. No doubt Pep has a plan, hopefully better than arsenal away last season whereby in trying to cover for Rodri we were neutralised in attack.

If Bobb was fit I think we’d see himself Erling and either Doku or Grealish starting. Pity we won’t see Bobb for a long while. I didn’t hear any update on Grealish’s fitness from Pep so don’t know if he’s available. I can’t see Pep starting with both Doku and Savio so would expect one of Doku, McAtee or Foden on the right if Grealish is fit. Doku on the left if not.

In midfield I’d say Kovacic and Bernardo with KDB further forward. I think Akanji and Dias start but then depends on fitness of Ake and Walker. Lewis probably deserves a start but I think he’ll miss out. I think Gvardiol will start despite being awful last weekend.

As for Chelsea who knows but I’d be wary of Neto considering the problems he caused us at Molyneux last season.

we are weeks away from our best line up imo also for those to be in some good form.
strange as looked at the friendly line up of Liverpool and Arse the next day after CS game and they had full first 11 starting while we had 7-8 of the first 11 not starting the CS game, some not even back to pre season at that time.
(Grealish, Rodri, Stones, Walker, Rodri, Bernardo, KDB none of these started while all of these can start a tough big PL game usually sometimes even Ake too, and another two had just 1-2 training sessions Akanji and Dias)

Chelsea have their own issues, 40+ squad size:), and Maresca to implement his style will bring a rocky first 4-6 months. they were awful in preseason.

we shouldnt lose this game, if we have enough firepower upfront and dont keep missing a lot even could be a comfortable win, last season this fixture was 4-4 with awful defending from City and missing quite a few big chances. we do need to be much better than 2nd half of the CS game for sure a week ago.

want more pace, aggression from our wingers with more end product. likes of Doku and Grealish to beat a defender and curl in a nice cross or put back to someone arriving in second wave. Doku often does well once he gets the ball but then sometimes does the hard bit well and a very mediocre choice of shot, cross or 3rd dribble that doesnt come off or blocked way too easily. expect him to earn more pens because with his style its much more possibe than for Grealish who doesnt break into the box too much.

pin back Cucurella and Gusto as much as we can.

with Rodri off midfield will need help, Kova is starting possibly, would use Bernardo as well centrally.

It will be interesting to say the least how we set up on Sunday. In Rodri’s absence at the weekend we looked particularly vulnerable to counter attacks which was a Chelsea specialty against us last season. No doubt Pep has a plan, hopefully better than arsenal away last season whereby in trying to cover for Rodri we were neutralised in attack.

If Bobb was fit I think we’d see himself Erling and either Doku or Grealish starting. Pity we won’t see Bobb for a long while. I didn’t hear any update on Grealish’s fitness from Pep so don’t know if he’s available. I can’t see Pep starting with both Doku and Savio so would expect one of Doku, McAtee or Foden on the right if Grealish is fit. Doku on the left if not.

In midfield I’d say Kovacic and Bernardo with KDB further forward. I think Akanji and Dias start but then depends on fitness of Ake and Walker. Lewis probably deserves a start but I think he’ll miss out. I think Gvardiol will start despite being awful last weekend.

As for Chelsea who knows but I’d be wary of Neto considering the problems he caused us at Molyneux last season.
We'll see but Chelsea aren't a counter attacking team anymore and are trying to be us, at the moment failing badly.

NO rodri doesnt bode well but at least it gives us a very early chance to see how Pep will set up for a proper competative game (the community shield and preseason friendlies mean nothing) without him

Cant see Pep throwing Oreilly in at the deep end (though he looked like he has real potential).....guess it will be kovacic plus one other. The issue with this is that we not only lose defensive ability with Kovacic but we also lose creativity and the odd goal as well which Rodri can and does provide.

Unless Stones is fit (?) - he could play there but Im guessing it might be kovacic and Rico Lewis...

not an easy first game to be missing a key player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.