Chelsea (A) - Sun 18th Aug, 16:30 | PL | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Pep, or someone on his behalf, has been keeping an eye on the BBC Sport website about the questions they are going to ask in his press conference soon.

"Before Enzo Maresca, we will hear from Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, who is expected to face more questions about his future - and the potential for a move into international management..."

No imagination these hacks have they? Every single press conference.... ' will you be here at the next conference Pep or are you going to Timbuctoo or Mars by any chance' ..... 'you could be the first Mars International Manager couldn't you? '
Too bad he can’t just hand out the same piece of paper with the answer to these questions for the next 8 months.

Did Pep say anything about the England contingent? Are they ready at least for a spot on the bench?

It will be interesting to say the least how we set up on Sunday. In Rodri’s absence at the weekend we looked particularly vulnerable to counter attacks which was a Chelsea specialty against us last season. No doubt Pep has a plan, hopefully better than arsenal away last season whereby in trying to cover for Rodri we were neutralised in attack.

If Bobb was fit I think we’d see himself Erling and either Doku or Grealish starting. Pity we won’t see Bobb for a long while. I didn’t hear any update on Grealish’s fitness from Pep so don’t know if he’s available. I can’t see Pep starting with both Doku and Savio so would expect one of Doku, McAtee or Foden on the right if Grealish is fit. Doku on the left if not.

In midfield I’d say Kovacic and Bernardo with KDB further forward. I think Akanji and Dias start but then depends on fitness of Ake and Walker. Lewis probably deserves a start but I think he’ll miss out. I think Gvardiol will start despite being awful last weekend.

As for Chelsea who knows but I’d be wary of Neto considering the problems he caused us at Molyneux last season.
He might put Lewis alongside Kovacic. Chelsea caused us problems last year so it will be a tough game. Hopefully we can get over the line and they have been poor pre season so probably the best time to play them away.

I think getting a point away from home here would be a good result while we get back into the swing of things. Chelsea is the shortest favorite for getting in the top four, outside the obvious(us, Arsenal, and Liverpool), for a good reason. They have a very talented squad, and Stamford Bridge will be up for it. I feel confident in our ability to get at their defense(less so with the loss of Bobb), but I expect Haaland to bounce back after his showing versus United. At the same time, their attack of Sterling, Palmer, Nkunku, Madueke, Caicedo, and Enzo is formidable in its own right. I can see a game playing out as it did last year in the 4-4.

Ederson
Lewis-Dias-Gvardiol-Ake
Bernardo-Kovacic
Doku-KDB-Grealish
Haaland​

Still think rodri will play.
Pep wouldn't be stupid enough to not play rodri against chelsea.

At the same time, their attack of Sterling, Palmer, Nkunku, Madueke, Caicedo, and Enzo is formidable in its own right.
With that in mind and if Rodri and the England lads don't start, the defence has to be as strong as possible, so i'd play Akanji instead of Rico.

With that in mind and if Rodri and the England lads don't start, the defence has to be as strong as possible, so i'd play Akanji instead of Rico.
We need to see what we have in Lewis and if he has a future at RB. I'd like to see him go up against Sterling. It'd be hard for him to be worse than Walker was last year, anyway, while giving us far more in a buildup/attacking sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.