Chelsea (H) - Post-Match Thread

The trouble with false 9's is that invariably we end up having to rely on scorers of great goals rather than great goalscorers. To be fair we do it better than everybody else.
Pep needs to find one of those with a work rate and quality to fit in his fluid forward roles. However I think there will always be a deficiency in one or the other, its just a fact as no one player can fulfil both roles perfectly and as these types of players are rare and highly sought after, very difficult to come by.
My own thoughts are that we need the option to play either way in order to have horses for courses. It does seem in really big games, particularly CL later stages we need someone to take at least one of the few chances we're likely to create. Pep would obviously decide when we go with or without a 9.
Would a world class striker like Haaland say, want to be picked only in selected games? I doubt it. It's a tough choice we have to complete the team. I think we find out in summer if it's possible.
A great post! Thank you. I thought Jesus would have been that sort of player but his finishing doesn't match his work rate and team play. So perfect, entertaining and unique is our play that any trophy we miss out on must be the price we play for being even more memorable than Pep's Barcelona. Messi was that player we need, without whom Barca would not have achieved what they did. Ultimately, Real Madrid, by way of Ronaldo, achieved more CLs but it's Barca who are better remembered. Similarly, Cruyff's Holland, whose unique play was countered by Muller's fox in the box ability. I'll take that for City, and be remembered as Barca and Holland are. :o)

Our goal difference was terrible but now way out in front
True. A big thank you to Newcastle and Leeds (11-0) I'm happy with the smaller wins provided our play is as beautiful as it's been. Missed chances? Goes with the territory but I do think Jack, Phil and a few others might up their shooting composure. Otherwise, keep playing the beautiful game.

My lad was “bothered “ by 3/4 Chelsea fans in the Piccadilly Tavern “ approx 16.15, was approached by them in a” unfriendly manner’ been reported to GMP, anyone there at the time who witnessed this “ unfriendly behavior “ Please come forward , have requested the cctv
I was in there after the game, not sure of the time but walked into town, 2 in the Waldorf then a couple in there.

Full of Chelsea lads, we had colours on 2 of us and only saw one other blue in there, we were all middle aged so maybe why we didn't get grief. Chelsea singing various iffy songs but seemed quite chilled. That being said, we did notice a scuffle outside the door which quickly cleared.

The trouble with false 9's is that invariably we end up having to rely on scorers of great goals rather than great goalscorers. To be fair we do it better than everybody else.
Pep needs to find one of those with a work rate and quality to fit in his fluid forward roles. However I think there will always be a deficiency in one or the other, its just a fact as no one player can fulfil both roles perfectly and as these types of players are rare and highly sought after, very difficult to come by.
My own thoughts are that we need the option to play either way in order to have horses for courses. It does seem in really big games, particularly CL later stages we need someone to take at least one of the few chances we're likely to create. Pep would obviously decide when we go with or without a 9.
Would a world class striker like Haaland say, want to be picked only in selected games? I doubt it. It's a tough choice we have to complete the team. I think we find out in summer if it's possible.

I don’t think we are reliant on great goals from individuals. In games like Saturday where they were determined to defend in tight banks, double up once we got the ball out wide, a striker is going to be starved of service and we would lose the extra body in the middle of the park. When you dominate the ball like we try and do you don’t get many periods of transition where you need a striker to finish. But look we’ve scored plenty this season from tap ins or “easier” chances in the box, if teams don’t want to deny us space and time they can find themselves on the end of a hiding. I don’t think there is any other team out there that can play the false 9 either because they can’t dominate the ball and space like we can.

I do agree ideally we need a striker who can play like a midfielder or a midfielder who can play like a striker but they are like rocking horse shit - I thought Torres was the one, he knew where the net was instinctively and had the skill and work rate but alas it wasn’t to be. We will one day find the perfect player for our system, I personally don’t think it’s Haaland however good a striker he is, but until that day we’re doing ok ;)

I don’t think we are reliant on great goals from individuals. In games like Saturday where they were determined to defend in tight banks, double up once we got the ball out wide, a striker is going to be starved of service and we would lose the extra body in the middle of the park. When you dominate the ball like we try and do you don’t get many periods of transition where you need a striker to finish. But look we’ve scored plenty this season from tap ins or “easier” chances in the box, if teams don’t want to deny us space and time they can find themselves on the end of a hiding. I don’t think there is any other team out there that can play the false 9 either because they can’t dominate the ball and space like we can.

I do agree ideally we need a striker who can play like a midfielder or a midfielder who can play like a striker but they are like rocking horse shit - I thought Torres was the one, he knew where the net was instinctively and had the skill and work rate but alas it wasn’t to be. We will one day find the perfect player for our system, I personally don’t think it’s Haaland however good a striker he is, but until that day we’re doing ok ;)
In reply to your first couple of lines, i can think of at least 2 occasions , and thats without watching the game back where the ball was played across the 6 yard box screaming for a number 9 to tap it in.
and thats every game

we need a striker and no one will convince me other wise. We’d score even more goals!!

did somebody really say chelsea deserved a draw ? Wolves put up more then chelsea did. You cant display such a dull game killing effort then expect a point, that isnt what second in the league plays like. True chelsea where one goal off a draw but never looked like scoring it !

did somebody really say chelsea deserved a draw ? Wolves put up more then chelsea did. You cant display such a dull game killing effort then expect a point, that isnt what second in the league plays like. True chelsea where one goal off a draw but never looked like scoring it !

Only Garth Crooks, so nobody who actually knows what they’re talking about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.