Chelsea thread 2012/2013 season

Josh McEachran on loan at Middlesbrough makes a Messiesque run:

1352492481212.gif

If only that run had finished with a goal.

Castiel said:
Josh McEachran on loan at Middlesbrough makes a Messiesque run:

1352492481212.gif

If only that run had finished with a goal.
Yea, was watching this match live. It was brilliant. Be interesting to see if he's ever given a proper chance with them though.

the resident chelsea fans, Can anyone tell me why you still persist with Mikel in your first XI.
The guy is slower than a bullock cart and is very poor on the ball. Surely, playing that Barca kid and giving him a chance to improve is better than wasting time with Mikel who lets admit it, looks like a lost cause now.

bleed.blue said:
the resident chelsea fans, Can anyone tell me why you still persist with Mikel in your first XI.
The guy is slower than a bullock cart and is very poor on the ball. Surely, playing that Barca kid and giving him a chance to improve is better than wasting time with Mikel who lets admit it, looks like a lost cause now.
Mikel divides opinion like no other player amongst Chelsea fans; but he has been routinely picked by every manager since Makelele left except AVB, who signed and preferred Romeu. Occasionally Essien played the anchor role in our old 4-3-3 under Ancelotti but he was generally wasted in that position, even though he was still a lot better than Mikel. His injury record prevented him from relegating Mikel to the bench entirely though.

Because they don't have a better alternative? Mata, Oscar and Hazard lack power. Mikel provides that, but not in the Essien, Makele class

Mata has been class this season. Better than ever, and arguably the player of the season to date

Hazard seems to have dipped a little bit from his early season form.

A fortnight or so ago, I was thinking that CFC have ridden their luck a bit but they didn't get any against Utd or Liverpool so in their case it has evened itself out

Essien has looked good when I've seen him for Real Madrid, not sure why Chelsea let him go on loan when they only have Mikel and Romeu for the role.

LoveCity said:
Essien has looked good when I've seen him for Real Madrid, not sure why Chelsea let him go on loan when they only have Mikel and Romeu for the role.
Because he isn't really a defensive midfielder. Essien is (was) basically the same as Yaya for you, and I'm sure you agree that Yaya is wasted when he is forced to play anchor for City. He can do a job but it isn't where he belongs. The incessant knee injuries just knocked him completely out of his form and stride, which Mourinho seems to be restoring. I had long believed that he was finished as a top player.

Castiel said:
LoveCity said:
Because he isn't really a defensive midfielder. Essien is (was) basically the same as Yaya for you, and I'm sure you agree that Yaya is wasted when he is forced to play anchor for City. He can do a job but it isn't where he belongs. The incessant knee injuries just knocked him completely out of his form and stride, which Mourinho seems to be restoring. I had long believed that he was finished as a top player.
Not sure Essien is returning to form with Real Madrid, but I agree he was an exceptional player

I like Yaya playing deep because then he can run with the ball, and his passing is exceptional. Played further forward he doesn't have the scope to make those long penetrating passes or surge on to a ball and power through the field with it. Those are his trademarks as much as his goals.

There is a lazy vibe to Mikel's game. There have been players in the past who have looked slow but done wonderfully well like Riquelme but Mikel doesnt have the passing ability and brain of Riquelme. He always seems so slow to tackles, tracking back. On the ball, he takes time and then plays a 2 yard pass. In the last game, he was near the centre circle and bertrand was on the left wing. He could have rolled the ball to him along the ground but decided to be different and lob a ball towards him. As usual got it horribly wrong and the ball went out for a throw in. Sorry scenes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.