Chelsea thread 2012/2013 season

Mikel is a player best suited for Italy. More marking less tracking. I think he'd ft in better at Milan than Nige has for them as well.

Castiel said:
LoveCity said:
Essien has looked good when I've seen him for Real Madrid, not sure why Chelsea let him go on loan when they only have Mikel and Romeu for the role.
Because he isn't really a defensive midfielder. Essien is (was) basically the same as Yaya for you, and I'm sure you agree that Yaya is wasted when he is forced to play anchor for City. He can do a job but it isn't where he belongs. The incessant knee injuries just knocked him completely out of his form and stride, which Mourinho seems to be restoring. I had long believed that he was finished as a top player.

I always thought Romeu was a top class player when i've seen him play. But then again I imagine you've seen him play more than I have! Never rated Mikel though.

Romeu has been sidelined ever since RDM took over the reins from AVB.
AVB used to play him regularly above Mikel. AVB might be a bad man manager but I rate his scouting and talent spotting ability very highly. He was the one who got spurs to chase Oscar and then Chelsea stepped in. Similarly, last year when he moved to Chelsea, he tried to sign Willian from Shakhtar and 1 year later, we all know how good Willian is.

Edit: You can add Mata to that list as well.

Marvin said:
Romeu has been Very poor.

Oscar, Mata and Willian are hardly unknowns

Romeu was good last year. This season, he just got that one game vs ManU and one half vs Swansea. Unfair to judge him when he isnt playing regularly and suddenly is asked to play vs ManU.

Oscar, Mata n Willian may not have been unknowns before but that way you can say for every player. AVB did initiate moves for these players.

bleed.blue said:
There is a lazy vibe to Mikel's game. There have been players in the past who have looked slow but done wonderfully well like Riquelme but Mikel doesnt have the passing ability and brain of Riquelme. He always seems so slow to tackles, tracking back. On the ball, he takes time and then plays a 2 yard pass. In the last game, he was near the centre circle and bertrand was on the left wing. He could have rolled the ball to him along the ground but decided to be different and lob a ball towards him. As usual got it horribly wrong and the ball went out for a throw in. Sorry scenes.
That is exactly the issue with him. Its not so much what he does, its the speed at which he does it. He is just a laboured player. He can turn in some excellent performances but they are usually when we are dominating the game and everything is going well.

Romeu was class under AVB but he was sidelined with injury for about a month, in which time AVB was sacked. Since then RDM has been reluctant to play him over Mikel and he hasn't had a string of consecutive games together to prove his worth. I also agree with the opinion that AVB's eye for talent is impressive, but his obvious knowledge of players doesn't seem to translate well on a tactical level for him, as many of his substitutions for us were baffling.

The transition of ball from defense/GK to the three attacking MFs is what is letting Chelsea down. When the two CBs and Mikel indulge in passing to each other for a good period, it lets the opponents time to regroup and consolidate their defending formations. When the opposition is all lined up well, the two ways to unlock the defense are:
1. quick barcelona like passing and movement in the attacking third (one messi, xavi, iniesta do routinely). Hazard, mata and oscar will take good time before they can reach anywhere close to that level of understanding
2. a deep lying playmaker who can make intelligent passes. Good thing for us and the rest of the league, Mikel and Ramires cant do that.

This gives me confidence that even if they go buy falcao in january (which mostly wont happen), they still wont be a league winning team.

2 points from their last 4 games now, 2 draws 2 losses. I presume they're also in a crisis?

To the resident Chelsea fans - How have you actually been playing?

Sturridge finally gets his chance to play in the centre and misses 4 good chances to score (2 of them any striker would have buried).
Serves RDM right for underestimating WBA. He rested 5 first team players (Cole, Ivanovic, Ramires, Oscar, Mata).

bleed.blue said:
Sturridge finally gets his chance to play in the centre and misses 4 good chances to score (2 of them any striker would have buried).
Serves RDM right for underestimating WBA. He rested 5 first team players (Cole, Ivanovic, Ramires, Oscar, Mata).

They've already played a lot of football this season though. Beyond the attack of Hazard, Oscar and Mata, what have they got?

They need to work out how to play without one or two of them sooner or later, or they won't even have the chance to crumble through winter, they'll be burnt out long before!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.