Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you fine with getting away with the £1.6bn debt you had on the books being wiped out? I`m sure you wouldnt have cared if it was City in the same boat.......................

Of course I’m fine with it. My club benefited from it. I wouldn’t really have cared if it was City but hey.

I’m not “on uefa’s side”, but I find the irony rather delicious.

Especially as Chelsea were one of the 8 that wrote to CAS asking for a quick decision as they thought it would kick City out of Europe.

You said it’s excellent so that would by definition mean you’re a UEFA supporter on this, which is fine, it’s immaterial anyway. Just saying it as it is

You said it’s excellent so that would by definition mean you’re a UEFA supporter on this, which is fine, it’s immaterial anyway. Just saying it as it is
I think it’s excellent that it’s not just City and PSG in the firing line.

Still can’t believe they got away with that.
Who knows what happened there. I'm not totally convinced it was genuinely written off.

But the salient point is that the debt was partly incurred via Roman's original purchase of the club and then increased as he put money in to fund their spending, which they struggled to fund out of revenue/cashflow. But the media never picked up on that and we were the ones targeted (wrongly) over continual owner investment.

And unless things have changed dramatically at Chelsea, it's hard to see how they can sustain their current level of spending without their cashflow being propped up by their new owners.

Another knee jerk from UEFA which on the face of it will solve a problem but will create more problems.

Lets suppose a player is signed for £50 million on a 6 year deal. Will they amortise the cost over 5 years or not allow the 6th?
Or what about if after 3 years the player signs another 6 year deal ?
It really isn't difficult. The intangible asset will be fully amortised after 5 years, so year six the amortisation would be zero. If the contract is extended at the end of 3 years for another 6 years, that would be 8 years from year 3, so 5 more years of amortisation at the new amount, then three years free of amortisation.

I think people are getting confused between accounting for a tangible asset, such as a building, which can have a residual value to reduce the annual amortisation charge, and an intangible asset. Unless slavery wasn't abolished, then the amounts in the balance sheet aren't for ownership of a tangible footballer asset, so estimated useful lives of the underlying assets aren't relevant. They are amounts paid for an intangible asset, the right to use the footballer's services for a period, and as such it is absolutely right to amortise these fully over the life of the contract as, at the end of the contract, the asset is worthless. To do anything else would be imprudent and would open the doors for "clever" people like at Chelsea to do away with amortisation of the intangible asset altogether.

Who knows what happened there. I'm not totally convinced it was genuinely written off.

But the salient point is that the debt was partly incurred via Roman's original purchase of the club and then increased as he put money in to fund their spending, which they struggled to fund out of revenue/cashflow. But the media never picked up on that and we were the ones targeted (wrongly) over continual owner investment.

And unless things have changed dramatically at Chelsea, it's hard to see how they can sustain their current level of spending without their cashflow being propped up by their new owners.

Shouldnt that have still be shown properly on their accounts still though Colin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.