Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely think that Potter is a very good manager who, when they inevitably sack him in the next few months, will go on to great success elsewhere. But right now he doesn't fit Chelsea.

He’s probably a good manager, but you can be an excellent manager but just not cut out for managing a big name club with big name players. Different managers have different skill sets. Some are skilled at making the best of what they have and sustaining a club in a certain division or whatever. Some are skilled at building a cohesive side of talented high profile individuals while handling the pressure huge expectations. Just because you can do one, it doesn’t mean you can do the other.

I think it takes a different skill set to get a tune out of high-profile players. Let’s be realistic and say that professional footballers at a very high level have some sort of ego that got them there in the first place. Do you think Raheem Sterling goes to training or a game and looks in front of him at Graham Potter who has never won anything of note and has the same level of respect for him as he did when he was with Pep at Man City? I don’t see it. It’s just the way human beings work.

Especially in future, if he were to be sacked now, Graham Potter has basically being a flop at Chelsea, whether it’s completely his fault or not, he’s not going to get the level of respect required from players with a big profile.

Of course, it doesn’t always work that way and managers have to start somewhere and gain success but I think when you’ve been in a job with high expectations like that and essentially done a very poor job, it’s going to be hard to manage at the elite level in future. Especially today.

Chelsea fans are so entitled.
I dont do social media but I looked at some of the replies. It really is a sick society on there

View attachment 70265

I mean WTF
Oh wah wah wahhh, wish my team were 10th. Also, that’s Twitter for you, full of foreign plastic fans who’ve never been to Stamford Bridge wanting a man’s kids to die because their team are 10th. Totally normal behaviour. It reminds me of the weird African Arsenal fans who sent Fulham a load of abuse over a harmless tweet, to the point where British Arsenal fans were embarrassed and apologising on their behalf.

He’s probably a good manager, but you can be an excellent manager but just not cut out for managing a big name club with big name players. Different managers have different skill sets. Some are skilled at making the best of what they have and sustaining a club in a certain division or whatever. Some are skilled at building a cohesive side of talented high profile individuals while handling the pressure huge expectations. Just because you can do one, it doesn’t mean you can do the other.

I think it takes a different skill set to get a tune out of high-profile players. Let’s be realistic and say that professional footballers at a very high level have some sort of ego that got them there in the first place. Do you think Raheem Sterling goes to training or a game and looks in front of him at Graham Potter who has never won anything of note and has the same level of respect for him as he did when he was with Pep at Man City? I don’t see it. It’s just the way human beings work.

Especially in future, if he were to be sacked now, Graham Potter has basically being a flop at Chelsea, whether it’s completely his fault or not, he’s not going to get the level of respect required from players with a big profile.

Of course, it doesn’t always work that way and managers have to start somewhere and gain success but I think when you’ve been in a job with high expectations like that and essentially done a very poor job, it’s going to be hard to manage at the elite level in future. Especially today.
Good points...It is possible Potter just lacks the man management skills needed for the highest level of football

Good points...It is possible Potter just lacks the man management skills needed for the highest level of football
Is it also possible the players have the mindset that they should be coached by a so-called top coach not someone who did well at Swansea and Brighton? He has one England U-21 cap and played for a string of EFL teams plus Southampton.
It's not only fans that feel they are entitled to the best coaches.

Chelsea fans are so entitled.

Oh wah wah wahhh, wish my team were 10th. Also, that’s Twitter for you, full of foreign plastic fans who’ve never been to Stamford Bridge wanting a man’s kids to die because their team are 10th. Totally normal behaviour. It reminds me of the weird African Arsenal fans who sent Fulham a load of abuse over a harmless tweet, to the point where British Arsenal fans were embarrassed and apologising on their behalf.

That person has MUFC in their name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.