Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuchel arrived at Chelsea with a reputation as a "difficult" character with whom relations soon soured and it all ended in tears. This season at Chelsea has seemed to confirm this picture with overt criticism of the team, implied criticism of the owners and problems with Tuchel's behaviour on the touchline. It might seem that this is Tuchel simply doing what Tuchel does, eventually. The surprising element is that the club has finished shelling out - only days ago - more than £250 million (a record for one transfer window) on new players, after seeing other players leave on frees and taking a massive loss on their £100 million striker. This spending was, we are told, the result of an "inclusive", "collaborative" approach but the manager seemed to distance himself progressively from this. Sterling and Aubameyang seem to be Tuchel players but the others? Hence the criticism of those players. And results... In the last 16 PL matches Chelsea have won 7, drawn 4 and lost 5. This is rather worse than the "trajectory of results" which saw City pull the plug on Mark Hughes after a period of heavy expenditure. Now, only 2 of Chelsea's defeats come this season but a manager so obviously unhappy with such costly new recruits and new owners prepared to spend so lavishly (expenditure they are unlikely to be allowed to repeat) is not likely to increase the manager's longevity. Maybe Tuchel's sacking isn't so surprising.

Last edited:
Tuchel arrived at Chelsea with a reputation as a "difficult" character with whom relations soon soured and it all ended in tears. This season at Chelsea has seemed to confirm this picture with overt criticism of the team, implied criticism of the owners and problems with Tuchel's behaviour on the touchline. It might seem that this is Tuchel simply doing what Tuchel does, eventually. The surprising element is that the club has finished shelling out - only days ago - more than £250 million (a record for one transfer window) on new players, after seeing other players leave on frees and taking a massive loss on their £100 million striker. This spending was, we are told, the result of an "inclusive", "collaborative" approach but the manager seemed to distance himself progressively from this. Sterling and Aubameyang seem to be Tuchel players but the others? Hence the criticism of those players. And results... In the last 16 PL matches Chelsea have won 7, drawn 4 and lost 5. This is rather worse than the "trajectory of results" which saw City pull the plug on Mark Hughes after a period of heavy expenditure. Now, only 2 of Chelsea's defeats come this season but a manager so obviously unhappy with such costly new recruits and new owners prepared to spend so lavishly (expenditure they are unlikely to be allowed to repeat) is not likely to increase the manager's longevity. Maybe Tuchel's sacking isn't so surprising.
I thought it was strange with tuchel just listing how poor everything was after losing games.

Well, Potter is a good manager within the comfort zone of a decent to good side at — with all due respect — a fairly small club. Am I alone in seeing nothing that makes me believe he can take over a big club, with the ambition of being champions in their domestic league from time to time, getting qualification for the CL pretty much every season, and having a good shot at winning it (having already done it twice in the last decade)? We'll see.
If he had owners who believed in building for the medium term — I'm not even talking about the long term, just three years grace in which it would be acceptable to qualify for the CL and win one or both of the domestic cups — then o.k., just possibly he can make the transition up from Brighton and Hove Albion to Chelsea. Does he have such owners? Again, all the signs are against it.
Nothing against the guy. I just think the pressures of managing a big club, pressures which Klopp and Pep handle exceptionally well, will be beyond him. But if I were him, I'd want to try, sure.

Well, Potter is a good manager within the comfort zone of a decent to good side at — with all due respect — a fairly small club. Am I alone in seeing nothing that makes me believe he can take over a big club, with the ambition of being champions in their domestic league from time to time, getting qualification for the CL pretty much every season, and having a good shot at winning it (having already done it twice in the last decade)? We'll see.
If he had owners who believed in building for the medium term — I'm not even talking about the long term, just three years grace in which it would be acceptable to qualify for the CL and win one or both of the domestic cups — then o.k., just possibly he can make the transition up from Brighton and Hove Albion to Chelsea. Does he have such owners? Again, all the signs are against it.
Nothing against the guy. I just think the pressures of managing a big club, pressures which Klopp and Pep handle exceptionally well, will be beyond him. But if I were him, I'd want to try, sure.

Potter main problem going there the set up behind the scenes isn’t set up for his philosophy it take him a few years while still having to compete for trophies and finish top four minimum! at city everything would of been there to slip straight into the system..

Just found out about his sacking.

So a new owner takes over. Rules the shopping of new players. Spends a fortune to have a popular entrance at the club and their fans, and sack the manager.

Well, I very much doubt Chelsea will be a title rival for the not too distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.