Chelsea Thread - 2023/24

Almost a billion in 3 transfer windows. Laughable
The laughable bit is that they spent that money to go from 3rd to 12th. If I spent 800 million, I'd expect to go into the season as favourites for the title. As it is, they're arguably not even favourites for the Champions League places.

But perhaps they'll surprise us all.

The laughable bit is that they spent that money to go from 3rd to 12th. If I spent 800 million, I'd expect to go into the season as favourites for the title. As it is, they're arguably not even favourites for the Champions League places.

But perhaps they'll surprise us all.

I don't think we'd expect to go into this season as title favourites regardless of how much money we've spent, and especially so when we consider how much we've spent on youth.

Theres a team that won the treble last season. I don't think any amount of money prevents them being seen as practically odds on favourites for another league title.

I don't think we'd expect to go into this season as title favourites regardless of how much money we've spent, and especially so when we consider how much we've spent on youth.

Theres a team that won the treble last season. I don't think any amount of money prevents them being seen as practically odds on favourites for another league title.
Well no, because you had a disaster last season. But the fact is that if I took over a club that finished 3rd, and spent 800 million on players in three windows, I'd expect to challenge for the title. The fact that you're probably not going to just highlights what an absolute shambles your owners have been so far.

Well no, because you had a disaster last season. But the fact is that if I took over a club that finished 3rd, and spent 800 million on players in three windows, I'd expect to challenge for the title. The fact that you're probably not going to just highlights what an absolute shambles your owners have been so far.
You're entitled to that opinion, but for me that's a simplistic perspective that doesn't account for the longer term model that we plainly have.

No idea what that even means, and I suspect that you don't either.

But for sure Chelsea will be competitive this season.
Well, that's a slightly antagonistic statement to make! I know exactly what I mean.

We've spent alot of money on youth, which clearly shows that we have a big eye on the future.

Anyone who follows football even semi-consistently will know what sort of demographic Chelsea have repeatedly been signing.

Simple enough to grasp, surely?!

You're entitled to that opinion, but for me that's a simplistic perspective that doesn't account for the longer term model that we plainly have.
If you say so. But you shouldn't need a longer-term model to go from 3rd to 1st with spending of 800 million. For that money you should be able to both buy players that will have a short-term impact and plan for the future.

And what is this long-term plan? To have so many players on 8 year contracts that when you want to improve the squad in 5 years time, you can't, because you're still amortizing the signings you made last year?

I find there's an increasing prevalence in society that when we see a billionaire do something clearly stupid or incompetent, we have to try and convince ourselves that it's actually part of some grand master plan that us povvos couldn't possibly comprehend. Whereas sometimes it really is someone who doesn't know what they're doing doing something stupid. But yeah, maybe he does have some sort of really clever scheme.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.