Chelsea Thread - 2023/24

I would say it is likely more a case of them falling in to it because of Boehly’s erratic decision making in the first 12 months of ownership than a product of real strategic thinking, but they are deciding now to lean fully in to it as a—as you said—highly risky bet.
You've also got to consider what any punishment is likely to be. Reduction in squad size for Europe. A transfer ban. A fine. They might just be willing to suck it up. Only a points reduction in the league or expulsion from Europe would really affect them.

The oddest thing about the Chelsea spending is they still look bang average and don’t even have a recognised centre forward or prolific goal scorer. I may be wrong but their squad looks light years behind ours.
They've brought in Nkunku who's fairly prolific, but then he needed surgery. I'd be more worried about CB if I was a Chelsea fan. Still relying on a 39 year-old Thiago Silva ffs.

You've also got to consider what any punishment is likely to be. Reduction in squad size for Europe. A transfer ban. A fine. They might just be willing to suck it up. Only a points reduction in the league or expulsion from Europe would really affect them.
Absolutely. That is why I think they are going with the “in for a penny, in for a pound” approach at this point.

Just like when someone treats you like shite no matter what you do — might as well lean in to being an arsehole to them, as the alternative approach will have the same outcome.

They've brought in Nkunku who's fairly prolific, but then he needed surgery. I'd be more worried about CB if I was a Chelsea fan. Still relying on a 39 year-old Thiago Silva ffs.
For the first half an hour against the dips they played with virtually no left sided defence and could easily have been three or four down, I was surprised to see Silva still there!

Still relying on a 39 year-old Thiago Silva ffs.

It's a fair point. However Thiago Silva is one of those rare players who manages to defy the normal constructs of age due to the ridiculous level of quality he has.

Imho he's in the conversation when best CBs of all time are debated.

For the first half an hour against the dips they played with virtually no left sided defence and could easily have been three or four down, I was surprised to see Silva still there!
I'd expect Poch to get the best out of some of their players though, and Chilwell and Cucarella are both players that have been great in the past. He got the best out of Danny Rose, so there's no reason he can't get Cucarella to remind everyone why they bought him in the first place.

It's a fair point. However Thiago Silva is one of those rare players who manages to defy the normal constructs of age due to the ridiculous level of quality he has.

Imho he's in the conversation when best CBs of all time are debated.
He'll do a job, sure. But you've spent €600m net, from a starting point of a team that finished 3rd. For that sort of money, you'd expect to have the core of a team that can be title challengers for the next 10 years. Yet arguably you're going to find yourself next summer looking for a world class CB (and having to sell before you can buy). That's assuming that his age doesn't catch up with him this season. Players of that sort of age aren't usually playing over 30 league games a season. Last season was ironically the first year that he managed over 30 games in the league since 2010.

Why are they not getting punished with FFP for some of these deals?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.