Chess

I learnt in the 70's at the school chess club, then taught my two elder brothers and my dad to play and thrashed them all.
Played for my secondary school too. Remember one game after school and I had to be elsewhere at 4pm so deliberatly threw the game by leaving myself open!

I would always try to play the 4 move check mate too! Love the game, even though not played for maybe 10 years.

Best board game ever. I used to be a tournament player when i was younger. Anyone who says it's a boring game does not understand it. I used to sit on my arse for several hours playing it. Never got bored.

King Geedorah said:
Anyone know any good websites to learn about chess?

I need to improve my openings especially.

Best thing is to forget the openings. Start studying the middlegame first then end game then start the opening. If you are a beginner and want to learn start of with Chessmaster, it has great video tutorials.

BulgarianPride said:
Best board game ever. I used to be a tournament player when i was younger. Anyone who says it's a boring game does not understand it. I used to sit on my arse for several hours playing it. Never got bored.
i was quite good at school too.the lad that taught me had beat a grandmaster(he was playing 60 games at once,but is still an achievement).i managed to beat him quite regularly before leaving school.i probably got as far as i could without joining a club and dedicating most of my free time to the game.
it helped my football too as i started to think ahead during games and change the way i played if things were not going to plan.

my dad taught me how to play at age 5, i beat him for the first time at 7. i was a very good player, and consider myself a decent player now. without being arrogant i think i could beat 95% of the population at this game.
in fact after a few beers i could rip off nigel shorts head and piss down his throat, metaphorically speaking, of course!!!! ;)

I can't play it, but my Son can. He taught himself years ago.

He has a very nice chess set that is his pride and joy.

The friend who taught me to play Chess was the same one who got me supporting City.

As someone said, learn the tricks of the middle game first as the openings tend to be formulaic. I suspect it's quite natural to be fairly reactive when you start but the more you play, the more you become familiar with different scenarios, learn to recognise them and think ahead.

Prestwich_Blue said:
The friend who taught me to play Chess was the same one who got me supporting City.

As someone said, learn the tricks of the middle game first as the openings tend to be formulaic. I suspect it's quite natural to be fairly reactive when you start but the more you play, the more you become familiar with different scenarios, learn to recognise them and think ahead.

My son has always been excellent with maths PB. I never was, although it has not hindered me in adult life. I am crap at practical stuff though.

Do you think chess is easier if your brain is more maths inclined?

mackenzie said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

My son has always been excellent with maths PB. I never was, although it has not hindered me in adult life. I am crap at practical stuff though.

Do you think chess is easier if your brain is more maths inclined?

no, logic and planning, and an exceptional memory

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.