Chief Exec News from Torygraph

Re: A bit of good news, City to approach ex-Barcelona executives

Could our club be in better hands than Khaldoon's and Sheikh Mansour's?

Seriously, best chairman-owner combination in the world bar none. Getting these two would blow my mind.

Isn't Txiki Begiristain the one that discovered the likes of Messi, Bojan, Pedro, Xavi, Puyol and Iniesta?

A bit of good news, City to approach ex-Barcelona executives

Jumanji said:
Isn't Txiki Begiristain the one that discovered the likes of Messi, Bojan, Pedro, Xavi, Puyol and Iniesta?

No

Didsbury Dave said:
Don't believe it for a second. I still think Potts from Tesco has the job.

But if there did happen to be any truth in it I'd be very concerned unless these guys have fluent, perfect English.

He speaks fluent English and Spanish and French, Italian, Portugees and like most execs bollocks!. As oppossed to the average British candidate who speaks just English and bollocks, bye bye Brian.

A third former Barcelona high-flier is in line to join the shock Manchester City executive revolution, Goal.com has learned.

Esteve Calzada, the ex-Barca marketing director, is being considered to work alongside former colleagues Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain in a ground-breaking shake-up of the City high command.

Goal.com exclusively revealed on Tuesday that the Premier League leaders are on the verge of appointing Soriano, the former Barcelona vice-president, as chief executive with Begiristain, the former Nou Camp dealmaker, working under him as director of football.

Calzada was also a key figure at Barcelona during Joan Laporta’s tenure as president of the Spanish club, spending five years as head of the marketing, commercial and media department between 2002 and 2007.

There is a suggestion that Calzada has been working on a consultancy basis for City during the past few months under acting chief executive John Macbeath.

However, the club have refused to comment on his possible involvement or the near five-month hunt to find a successor to former chief executive Garry Cook, which is expected to be concluded in the next few weeks.

Goal.com understands that Soriano, who was on the Camp Nou board between 2003 and 2008 as the club grew rapidly to become the second-highest-earning in the world, is the City hierarchy’s chosen candidate to become the new CEO.

The 44-year-old chairman of Spanish airline Spanair wants Begiristain, 47, the former Barcelona technical secretary who was in charge of the European champions’ recruitment policy between 2003 and 2010, and Calzada to work alongside him.

Speaking on Catalan radio station RAC on Tuesday night, Soriano admitted that he had received offers from prominent football clubs to leave Spanair, although he refused to be drawn on the City link.

“I have received other proposals for other things, like football and from England,” said Soriano. “But I can tell you that, until I finish what I started here, I do not think about leaving.

“I will not tell you who made me these offers, but the answer always has been the same: ‘Not now’.”

However, Soriano conceded that there could be a “rethink” and said that the highly regarded Begiristain “will surely receive proposals”.

Cook resigned his £1.96 million-per-year role last September after conceding he made an "error of judgement" in mistakenly sending an offensive email to the mother of Nedum Onuoha, the City defender, which prompted an internal investigation led by the club’s chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak.

Some more news from the Fail, Marwood going nowhere.

Spanish armada won't sink Brian
By Charles Sale
Last updated at 11:51 PM on 25th January 2012

Brian Marwood is secure in the hitherto precarious role of director of football at Manchester City, even if the club appoint former Barcelona vice-president Ferran Soriano as the new chief executive.

There has been widespread speculation from Spain that Soriano will bring his former Barcelona colleague Txiki Beguiristain to head City’s recruitment — the job Marwood carries out for Roberto Mancini.

But City, who have been secretive about their hunt for Garry Cook’s successor, went on the record on Wednesday to make it clear they are looking to fill ‘one position only’.

Marwood had a difficult working relationship with previous City manager Mark Hughes, who preferred the counsel of his close-knit group of assistants rather than a director of football. But Marwood and Mancini have developed a partnership trusted by the Abu Dhabi owners, who recognise the value of Marwood’s football contacts.

The expected selection of Soriano has been a drawn-out process: headhunters Odgers had him as their prime candidate in November.

I hope this happens personally. We so need somebody with connections to the footballing power brokers i am sad to say, but we are getting fucked because we have no one mingling with the bent corrupt fuckers in fa, uefa ,fifa et al. If him/they are good enough for Kaldoon then that will do me.

This is from a business news website. I happen to know the lad who wrote it, and he's a big blue too.

Ex-Barcelona chief linked with top job at Man City
26th January 2012

By Chris Barry - Editor, North West

The Etihad Stadium, Manchester City
SPANISH airline executive and former general manager of FC Barcelona, Ferran Soriano, is reportedly the leading candidate to be the new chief executive at Manchester City FC.

At a briefing last week club officials said the search for a successor to Garry Cook, who resigned last September, was coming to an end.

Reports in Spain said the 44-year-old multi-lingual businessman, currently chairman of airline Spanair, is in negotiations with the club - which has been transformed on and off the pitch since it was bought by Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Mansour in 2008.

Mr Soriano, who was on the Barcelona board between 2003 and 2008, helped drive the Catalan club's commercial earnings globally - a skill which makes him all the more appealing to City's heirarchy which has aspirations to be one of Europe's top five clubs by revenue in the next few years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.