Chinese Consortium invests $400m in CFG

Interesting article on Li Ruigang our new board member

http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/ed...42/li-ruigang-shanghais-rising-media-star-set

Li, 46, has been dubbed by many industry insiders as "China's Rupert Murdoch" for orchestrating several high-profile deals with the potential to bring far-reaching changes to the mainland's media landscape.

In 2009, Li founded CMC, an investment fund that attracted capital from the likes of China Development Bank and SMG when he was president of the media giant that controls Shanghai's major television and radio station.

CMC was catapulted into the international limelight in 2012 when it partnered with US entertainment giant DreamWorks Animation to build a 20 billion yuan theme park in Shanghai.

CMC is also a shareholder of Caixin Media, one of China's most influential print media groups, Star China TV and Television Broadcasts China (TVBC), a joint venture set up by TVB, SMG and CMC to help the Hong Kong broadcaster explore the mainland market

Last edited:
I would not rush to view this as a positive just yet. It is a fairly complex deal which down the line may have unforseen repercusions. While at present MCFC is clearly the dominant force in this expanding organisation in 10 or 15 years time other parts of the conglomerate may grow in importance. Indeed, in 30 or 40 years City may have fallen way down the pecking order. I won't be around then but I am feeling just a little bit uneasy that the team I have supported for decades is potentially going to be swollowed up by a ginormous conglomerate.
I think it's pretty clear to anyone who has watched NYCFC play that the ambition of the CFG is huge and that all these clubs will grow and develop. MCFC will be one part of this but if income, support etc in NYCFC or elsewhere eclipses MCFC then that club would be potentially more significant to the global business. However, the PL remains the leading League in terms of income and attractiveness to overseas markets. While that scenario exists then MCFC will be the dominant force. Personally, if every part of the group grows and MCFC's income is not as great as NYCFC then I'd only worry if MCFC were failing, but my gut feel is that no matter how the global businesses grow MCFC will also continue to grow and develop. If my club was being asset stripped to fund developments in other businesses I'd worry but actually all of this is benefitting MCFC. Good time to launch a new badge of course!

But even knock off shirts bear the sponsors name and represent the brand. There is still great value, just missing the bit from the initial sale.

Yeh good point mate, hadn't thought of that. It kind of backs my point that the value in China is for the brand exposure our partners will get as opposed to us directly selling trademarked products to people in China.

Point taken but some of our fans are still obsessed with Man United i'm afraid mate. That's also the reason they are also obsessed with how we are reported.

It bugs me because we should be leaving that behind because they are in our shadow now, not the other way around.

Sorry - you have to (IMO) just accept that there are a significant group of CITY fans who have an utter loathing of all things related to the scum red bastards - anything that causes them angst is something that we (because my loathing of them is right up there) will enjoy wallowing in.

Last edited:
Today at 10:29

Polite PosterFull Member

The reactions on this thread are very funny.

When SM took over at City we had the 'not in my lifetime' 'noisy neighbour' 'massive club' stuff. Well, see how that went, City are now established at the top table in England.

Now we sign a strategically important deal for the massive Chinese market and it's 'money laundering' 'bribes' 'ffp dodge'. Well, again we'll see.

One day you guys are going to wake up and smell the coffee
This is from the same subject on ragcafe. Come on own up, which one of you is this?
Fantastic response has got their knickers in a right twist.
I think a few of them are having a proper meltdown.
Can't stop laughing.

Might be slightly off-topic, but the number of posts in this thread compared to the number of posts in TODAY'S match thread, seems to demonstrate that more of our fan's (and modern fans in general) are interested in the business of football, than actual football itself! Sad Times! CTID

Beautiful scenes.

We now control the platform with every commercial deal we make from this day forward, based on the valuation now put on the CFG.

I don't think anyone can comprehend the levels of sponsorship money which will now flood directly into club coffers, Chinese, or otherwise.

Our rivals tap up companies.

We tap up countries.

That's the difference.

Think about the possibilities for the leisure destination, the building of more Real Estate, and the ease of which someone like Lionel Messi could have his wages pretty much covered by a Chinese link-up.

We became the biggest football club in the world today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.