Chinese Consortium invests $400m in CFG

It's notoriously difficult to "monetise" foreign fans directly. Very few buy the real shirts and the main effort is in getting them to subscribe to uniquie content. That's why the rags put so much effort into signing up foreign telecomms providers. But I'm not convinced it works as they only get about 3% of their revenue from abroad. £2m tops.
For me, it's all about the broadcasting rights and associated advertising. Gambling is obviously huge in China. As someone who only sees adds during footy matches [otherwise I only watch the BBC - middle class tosser, I know], I am always surprised by the level of bettings ads that are on. So expect the next paranoid Rag argument to be that matches are fixed by Chinese gambling syndicates.

But but but I thought the Chinese premier was a life-long Rag?

giphy.gif

07b861380e37623ad8c49513e24852f0.jpg

It's notoriously difficult to "monetise" foreign fans directly. Very few buy the real shirts and the main effort is in getting them to subscribe to uniquie content. That's why the rags put so much effort into signing up foreign telecomms providers. But I'm not convinced it works as they only get about 3% of their revenue from abroad. £2m tops.

I think the ground beneath our feet is shifting as GDM wrote.

Shirt sales are an increasingly less important part of the business in general. Even fake shirts have ETIHAD on the front

Whilst the precise content of this announcement might be unexpected, its overall mood isn't. It's novel, bold and commercially groundbreaking, as we've come to expect in the last seven years or so.

Many people in and around football, and I don't just limit this to 'mouth-breathers' on rag cafe, seem unable to evaluate the world of football, and most especially Premier League football as it is today, and the currency it now holds; not how it was a decade or so ago. When the club was bought in 2008, smart phones and tablets were very much in their infancy. Planet earth was a much bigger place. The world has changed immeasurably since then, particularly in technological terms, and yet we have putatively intelligent people seemingly unable to grasp what that means to the most popular sport on the planet. They're still taking about fucking shirt sales, like an ageing DJ talks about the 'hit parade'. Fucking clowns.

Quite simply, by accident or design, or in all likelihood a combination of the two, City's takeover on that sunny late summer's day in 2008 has come to be revealed as the ultimate footballing conflation of being in the right place at the right time, for both ADUG and us as supporters. We should never forget our good fortune in that regard.

Eventually, for the mouth-breathers, the penny is going to drop, but for the less intellectually gifted among those who seek to denigrate us, I fear it's still going to take a little while longer of them to wake up to the scale of a project that they used to so love openly mocking.

Fuck me, I love supporting this club. What a ride we've been on for the last 40 years.

Great post as always fella. That "shirt sales" phrase has irritated me for years, and your "hit parade" comparison is perfect. Shirts make hardly any money. Broadcasting football is of course where the money is now, and will be more and more and more. I remember talking to someone who knows football about the time of the takeover, and questioning exactly how much more money football can make, and his answer was "Trust me, when you have tens of millions of Asians paying £50 for a season ticket to watch their English club on the internet, you'll see real money in the game. The current stuff is pin money".

I think this is what we are seeing realised before our eyes, small step by small step. And this is part of it. China is fucking massive. And is getting fucking rich.

sorry, i might go slightly against the grain here, but this doesn't sit very easy with me, football just aint what it was.

(yes yes, its a global business etc, i know)

sorry, i might go slightly against the grain here, but this doesn't sit very easy with me, football just aint what it was.

(yes yes, its a global business etc, i know)
Read the post from GDM pal, that is the nail hit firmly on the head.
Football has changed and moved on and we're in pole position.
The rest are still on the parade lap.

What an incredible deal , takes us up to a level way above the rags , the gooners , the grief junkies and Chelski.
This type of exposure in a country of 1.3billion population, the potential is mind boggling .Whatever happened to my club , you know the one where you had to wade through 6 inches of urine just to have a piss in the bogs at the back of the Kippax.
Anyway , my money is on India ( 1.2 billion) next stop.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.