City’s New Kits

But City have now prevented any other club in the area identifying with a uniquely Mancunian set of numbers so it's actually quite clever.
Was there a queue of clubs looking to put 0161 on their shirts or other branding?

Was there a queue of clubs looking to put 0161 on their shirts or other branding?
I think the point is that while City are flying high on the global stage, we are trying to “retake” the Manchester name for ourselves.

It harkens back to the Tevez poster, which became an international story.

In short, when people find out where I’m from, their first question is often “Do you support Manchester United?” We are trying to fundamentally change that question.

Much of our branding is about being the local team, the Manchester team, the team that embraces & encapsulates what it is to be a Manc. The 0161 is furthering that branding effort.

I think the point is that while City are flying high on the global stage, we are trying to “retake” the Manchester name for ourselves.

It harkens back to the Tevez poster, which became an international story.

In short, when people find out where I’m from, their first question is often “Do you support Manchester United?” We are trying to fundamentally change that question.

Much of our branding is about being the local team, the Manchester team, the team that embraces & encapsulates what it is to be a Manc. The 0161 is furthering that branding effort.
I don’t think putting a very stylised 0161 on the collar and cuffs of the home shirt is going to contribute to changing that question or making us a uniquely “Mancunian” club.

The team’s exploits on the pitch and our ownership’s work in the community over the past 15 years are, though.

And I’ll be very surprised if it is reused anytime soon.

This, at least for me, seems more a case of “we’re running out of ideas for connecting Manchester to simple design elements that make the shirt cheap to produce”.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.