City’s Top Five Keepers Of All Time

I remember sitting in the Platt lane , and every time Dibble took a goal kick he placed it on the left side , kicked it with his left peg , and every time skewed it into the main stand !
I almost went down to the fro t to scream at him at least take it fro. The RHS of the area then you’d stand a chance!!

Martin Margetson was utterly horrendous! He once tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of a bus..he survived because it went under him.
He wasn't even THAT good. I have a hazy memory of an end of season game against Everton (maybe around 93 or 94; it's thirty years ago, so be gentle with me). We were 3 down at HT, and yes; he was in goal. He was absolutely catastrophic that afternoon, and (IIRC) ended up being subbed at the interval. Think the game ended up 5-2, so we "improved" in the second half!

Goalkeeping has changed, like much else, in the Pep era, so I'm only going by the ones before this revolutionary came along.
So:
1. Trautmann (far ahead in first place)

2. Swift
3. Corrigan.
4. Hart.
5. Alex Williams. or maybe Carlo Nash for his cool name alone.
I don’t think there’s much doubt that Bert and Frank are our two greatest‘keepers, but there are very few left, who saw Bert play, let alone Frank.

By all accounts, they were two of the finest goalies ever, and not just for City. Sadly, thee is very little footage of them playing, so we can only go on contemporary reports.

I’d just like to give Perry Suckling an honourable mention.

Not that he was any good. But he was good fun and I liked him.

That save against Allan Clark still brings me out in goose bumps.

I was showing this save to lads in work who were in awe of the Turkish goalkeeper's save last week.
This save came 2nd in match of the day's save of the season in 77 to a routine tip over the bar from 25 yards from Alex Stepney. Even then the agenda existed.

Also no one mention Arni Arason

My dad said the same rating Bert over Frank Swift. Of the two, I only saw Bert but rate him as the best not just on ability but for his influence on the game. At a time of mudheap pitches, goalies would hoof the ball as far upfield as possible. Bert preferred to throw the ball more accurately to a player to retain possession, almost as far up as the half way line but usually out wide where there was more grass.

Bob Wilson, successful ex Arsenal goalkeeper, coach and tv pundit from the 1960's 1970's was inspired by Berts style, especially through his bravery diving at players feet to retrieve the ball.

I'd put Ederson as number 2 because of his influence in shifting the role of the goalkeeper from solely a shot stopper to outfield player defensively reducing shots at goal and offensively starting attacks. Football has changed. Not long ago de Gea was lauded in some quarters as the best shot stopper in the world but has not found a club since leaving ManU at the end of the 2022/23 season.

Others ranked in order would be Swift, Corrigan and Hart. All three were a dominating, big physical presence in the way of Peter Schmeichel, all in the mould of a traditional goalie from the days when they wore green woolen roll neck jerseys and laced, leather case balls were in use.

On the subject of green woollen goalies jumpers, the very first match I saw as a young boy was Oldham v Gateshead back in the old 4th Division (or maybe even Third Division North). The only memory I have from that match is that the Gateshead goalie's green woollen jumper had 'darned' elbows.
How the game has changed !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.