City’s wasted talent

As I said in another thread, I saw Alphons Groenendijk's debut and that he would be amazing but it never happened. To be fair, as a youngster I thought pretty much every single player we ever bought was going to be amazing!! I was giddy over Kit Symons, Alan Kernghan, Lee Bradbury...you get the idea.

If Joey Barton had a decent bone in his body he could've played at a much higher level than he did with us. Obviously he is a grade a1 bell end, but I remember watching him and thinking he was a raw but complete midfielder in that he could tackle, run, shoot, take set pieces, pass and play box to box. He wasted his career and maybe if he had the attitude of a Silva/Zaba etc he would've gone on to a bigger club at the time and been an England regular.

Balotelli was another player that I thought has wasted his career. He was tall, strong, quick, great feet and absolutely ice cold. He would take a sudden death penalty in the world cup final the same as he would playing with his mates in the park. He had all the talent to become one of the best players in Europe, but again didn't have the attitude. As I've said before, my biggest worry with Balotelli is that Ferguson would've bought him and made him into the new Cantona. Balotelli had that something about him and on his day he was unplayable but when it wasn't his day he was useless - similar to Adebayor.

Last one was Anelka. That guy should've been world class all his career, but the fact he ended up playing for us at the time showed how much he'd fallen. On his day, no one could get near to him - fast, tricky, composed and could finish. All that talent at 18/19 but he basically blew the lot. If he had the right attitude - again, it's attitude - he would never have ended up with us and could've won plenty of Ballon D'ors and the rest. Don't get me wrong, he did well for us, but he had so much more to offer at the time.

Are people misunderstanding the thread or am i?
Wasted talent. Yep johnson , ireland less so. They didnt make the most of the talent given.

the rest mentioned, paul moulden, croft, weiss etc, not so much wasted talent, just not good enough.

Warhurst, barret, hughes wtc were surely more missed opportunities ?
A lot can happen to affect a young player’s development at a certain age. The wrong manager, the wrong move to the wrong club at the wrong time. Injuries etc
Look at Gareth Bale, an unconvincing reserve full back whose win record became a meme, a flop signing who Spurs had agreed to sell to Forest for 500k until a midfield injury crisis forced Redknapp into playing him further forward. A couple of years later he moves for a world record fee.
Similarly Harry Kane, who had failed on loan at several clubs and who Spurs were looking to move on permanently until another injury crisis forced them to chuck him in. Or Rashford, way down the list at united until they had no choice but to play him in a Europa League game.
Sometimes it is more about timing, luck and seizing opportunities than ability per se

Ian Bowyer went on to win European Cups with Forest but always looked like he had two left feet with City.

Stan Bowles.

Gary Owen was all set to be the greatest player we had had for years and then inexplicably Malcolm Allison sold him and his career never reached the heights it could have. I was gutted.
Barnes and Owen were never the same players, talented, young, lifelong blues whose hearts were broken at being prematurely dumped by City.
There was a quote from Gary Owen’s dad who said when he was driving his lad to sign for West Brom it was like taking a dog to the vet’s to be put down.
I’d put Nicky Reid and Michael Hughes in that category as well, all those players and City would have been much better had they not been sold when they were

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.