City and Religion

Damocles

Administrator
I've been speaking to some relatives who are extremely long term City fans over the Xmas period, and my Dad, my Dad's Dad, my Mum's Dad and my Mum's older brother have all seperately said to me that there used to be a large religious divide between the Manchester Clubs and City were seen as the Protestants whilst United were the Catholics.

Whilst I've always heard this knocked about, does anybody have any idea if there was a real split or if it was one of those urban legends that got around?

My dad has never mentioned it tbh, he was a permanent fixture at the swamp in the 60's and 70's.

Like you i have heard some mutterings on the next table in the pub type chatter but never really heard much about it tbh.

Well known in the 60s, but we did have a large Jewish following I heard in the 40s and 50s but for me any blue is the man in my eyes, so HAPPY NEW YEAR to every blue of any creed or colour x

There's always been tenuous links between City & Rangers (and likewise United & Celtic) so I think there's something in it. Not been an issue in my lifetime though, I know as many Catholic Blues as I know Protestant City fans.

I was 10 when I moved down here from Glasgow and supported City as my first mate was a Blue. However when I went back a good few years later my older relatives were very, very happy I didn't become a Rag as they were the 'Fenian' team according to them.

Having once written an article on this i can tell you there are few real links but some extremely tentative ones. The most obvious one is the fact that city were started by a Protestant church, Gorton st marks. But I think more of it come from united's popularity with the Irish, and their immigrants. Bizarrely I believe Ireland's love affair with united has many of its roots with George best who was a hero to caholics even though he was Protestant. Many of Manchester and the north west's big catholic population( of which I'm one) have Irish roots and therefore a loose connection has been made between united and Catholicism. United fostered some cod-relationship with celtic in the 70s and 80s too.City's Protestant links are tentative and a reaction to that really. I suspect there are some historical geographical facts from before the slum clearances which could have had influence too. I know Salford has a big Irish population. A lot of the Jewish population have always followed city too for some reason. The main stand in the 70s was half full of Jewish blokes in sheepskins smoking cigars.

Didsbury Dave said:
Having once written an article on this i can tell you there are few real links but some extremely tentative ones. The most obvious one is the fact that city were started by a Protestant church, Gorton st marks. But I think more of it come from united's popularity with the Irish, and their immigrants. Bizarrely I believe Ireland's love affair with united has many of its roots with George best who was a hero to caholics even though he was Protestant. Many of Manchester and the north west's big catholic population( of which I'm one) have Irish roots and therefore a loose connection has been made between united and Catholicism. United fostered some cod-relationship with celtic in the 70s and 80s too.City's Protestant links are tentative and a reaction to that really. I suspect there are some historical geographical facts from before the slum clearances which could have had influence too. I know Salford has a big Irish population. A lot of the Jewish population have always followed city too for some reason. The main stand in the 70s was half full of Jewish blokes in sheepskins smoking cigars.
Newton Heath, who became Manchester United, were formed by Irish navvies working on the railways as I understood it. Hence the Catholic roots. I'm not sure about Jewish support in the 40's and 50's but I've always thought that the Jewish community is pretty well split 50/50 between us and them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.