City and WWE

Not this was wrestling

Brilliant! My dad was mates with Billy Howes who was a wrestler in the 1960's. Billy lived in Little Lever and owned a small supermarket and butchers which was ahead of its time back then.

He did appear in that golden age on the 4pm itv saturday afternoon sports program... "Wrold of Sport" for 45 mins before the results that came on at 16:45pm. They used to show pre recorded bouts that took place previously in many Northern town venues.

My dad used to accompany Billy on those night appearances and they always returned home with prizes and cash from local businesses. These were various white goods such a washing machines, tumble dryers and fridge freezers that were status symbols in the mid 1960's.

Our first front loader was one my dad offered Billy a bit of cash as he had a few in his lock up. I remember a guy in a white coast installing it and teaching my mum how to use it. The whole family watched the fucker churning bedsheets around and around for two hours! Leading edge tech in 1966 Britain!

Last edited:
Anyone pearl clutching over WWE should stop watching movies as it's not real.

Really chuffed with this as a fan of City and WWF/E all my life. Hope they do a show at the Etihad at some point.

The whole thing is obviously choreographed in advance. Being associated with it should be embarrassing for City or any reputable sports club.
Just like the Premier League then.

ba-dum-tsss-drum.gif

The whole thing is obviously choreographed in advance. Being associated with it should be embarrassing for City or any reputable sports club.

It's really not. The result is predetermined but a lot of it is done as improvisation based on crowd response.

I never get why wrestling catches such a bad rap but people will fawn over movie stars pretending to be superheroes on wires with CGI for 3 hours.

It's really not. The result is predetermined but a lot of it is done as improvisation based on crowd response.

I never get why wrestling catches such a bad rap but people will fawn over movie stars pretending to be superheroes on wires with CGI for 3 hours.
I think you're talking about the same two groups of people there, to be fair.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.