City announce trial bus scheme for home games

Fully agree, made a quick get away but was held up for about 40 mins, no warning, no chance of diverting, just stuck

I know it doesnt help now but we (Failsworth bus) turned right at Church Street in Newton Heath down Droylsden Road onto Lord Lane and round that way, could have joined Oldham Road way further up if you were going that way, if you were heading up Broadway then could have gone left at Dean Lane down St Marys Road past the fc united splitters ground and joined Broadway there.

Agree about having no forewarning etc though we just saw nothing was moving so turned off, horrific 'planning' by whoever was pissing about with the road

Just to pick you up on one crucial point as whilst agreeing about the choice of locations/non locations (Hazel Grove should definitely have a direct route) I've also heard some dissenting voices regarding 2-3 Supporters Club Bus Services.

When the game finishes, most supporters just want to get home as quickly as possible. However, the Supporters Club Bus seems more aimed at those people who want to have another couple of pints in Mary D's.

That's why a City stronghold such as Cheadle should cater for both.
Fair enough on the supporters bus services, it’s not for everyone, but that’s why I mentioned the bullocks bus service, which has been going for years. It’s pretty much the same as the one city are now offering and it’s cheaper. From what I remember there is already one that runs from hazel grove straight to the ground - I’d have to check that though.

What I don’t understand is how you can have a bus service from say Macclesfield, but then barely have any stopping in south Manchester. Burnage and levenshulme have loads for city fans, but it doesn’t stop there. It makes no sense.

Fair enough on the supporters bus services, it’s not for everyone, but that’s why I mentioned the bullocks bus service, which has been going for years. It’s pretty much the same as the one city are now offering and it’s cheaper. From what I remember there is already one that runs from hazel grove straight to the ground - I’d have to check that though.

What I don’t understand is how you can have a bus service from say Macclesfield, but then barely have any stopping in south Manchester. Burnage and levenshulme have loads for city fans, but it doesn’t stop there. It makes no sense.
It's only 3 to 4 miles to the stadium from those areas and they have 3 to 4 trains an hour and a 3min frequency bus service into town. If there's a group of 3 or 4 then an Uber would be a far better way of getting to the stadium. The idea of these buses is to serve those areas which are a bit further out and/or have fewer options. Radcliffe for instance you could argue has the tram, but it involves a tricky changeover in the town centre as there are only direct trams to Piccadilly every 12mins and the direct bus option from Radcliffe (to Shudehill, so needs a walk to even get an onward bus connection) is only hourly on Sundays. These buses starting further out as direct express routes are a much better option, if you start adding more stops along the way it would mean slower end-to-end travel times and could become less attractive to the outlying areas forcing people back into cars.

Last edited:

They have other options though. From Macc, it’s the train (if it’s not cancelled!) followed by a tram or walk to & from Piccadilly - or drive. The bus has been a good option (but needs to stop being half an hour late!)

Definitely not an Official Bus from Hazel Grove, but strangely one from New Mills that stops at Great Moor.
Particularly frustrating for the midweek 8pm games, because unless you leave at 75 minutes, you have to hang around for the last train at 11:10

There were probably 100 people got off at the Grove on Wednesday, and by the time I'd walked home it was two hours after the Final Whistle.

Not ideal considering the Etihad is only circa 10 miles away, and certainly the main reason why many people still drive.

Definitely not an Official Bus from Hazel Grove, but strangely one from New Mills that stops at Great Moor.
Particularly frustrating for the midweek 8pm games, because unless you leave at 75 minutes, you have to hang around for the last train at 11:10

There were probably 100 people got off at the Grove on Wednesday, and by the time I'd walked home it was two hours after the Final Whistle.

Not ideal considering the Etihad is only circa 10 miles away, and certainly the main reason why many people still drive.
I've emailed to ask if they have plans to add a stop at Hazel Grove but not heard anything yet. There's loads who go from here so it would make sense. I know the supporters club run them too, but as someone mentioned they can leave quite late when sometimes you need to get back earlier.

I've emailed to ask if they have plans to add a stop at Hazel Grove but not heard anything yet. There's loads who go from here so it would make sense. I know the supporters club run them too, but as someone mentioned they can leave quite late when sometimes you need to get back earlier.
Yeah I think that was me mate.
I've been on both the Grove Supporters Club Bus and the Cheadle Supporters Club Bus.

Good value, but aside from the early kick-offs (or last Sunday when we'd just beat United) I usually just want to get home as quickly as possible.
If it means departing from Mary D's an hour after the Final whistle then I might as well just walk to Piccadilly and catch the next train.

It's only 3 to 4 miles to the stadium from those areas and they have 3 to 4 trains an hour and a 3min frequency bus service into town. If there's a group of 3 or 4 then an Uber would be a far better way of getting to the stadium. The idea of these buses is to serve those areas which are a bit further out and/or have fewer options.
It’s actually pretty difficult to get to the Etihad from some areas in Manchester. I’d also say burnage is right next to Cheadle, yet doesn’t get the advantage of a direct bus to the Etihad.

There are lots places on the bus route where its easy to get to town. Cheadle hulme for example, they’re regular trains - it’s about 10-15 minutes (2 stops) and there’s regular buses. For me there’s no consistency.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.