City become the most watched PL team in the US

This is brilliant shithousery ammunition. I can see a lot of blues having a lot of fun sharing some of these facts. Get in! ... and Come on City! :)

Speaking of Becky Lowe; that girl has a cult following here, especially amongst the - what I would call - newer footy fans. I was at one of the NBC fan fests a few years back here in Boston and everywhere she went, guys were falling over themselves to catch her eye. I didn't realize that she was so tiny. But boy does she have fans.

I had a great chat with Kyle Martino that day; big City fan - well of the football City play anyway - who is no longer with NBC. Lovely guy. Plus got a selfie with the legendary Shawn Wright-Phillips. My son grew up watching him on the old Fox Sports Network when we were on so was gobsmacked to meet him.
She was lovely close up.....
A few photos from the rest of the day
Screenshot_20240208-122550_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20240208-122525_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
As a Yank who felt quite lonely supporting City for much of the last two-plus decades, my observation is the divide between old and young here is stark.

Listening to SiriusFC on the radio, the gobshit(e)s like Tom Rennie, Eric Wynalda, et al still routinely lambast City in favo(u)r of Utd and (especially) Liverpool. I go to a bar last year for City v Arsenal and City fans are outnumbered 15 to 1. I still get questions from know-nothing parents at my kid's high school ("Now . . . you support Manchester United, right?").

But . . . ask my teenagers about THEIR friends . . . and ALL of them, whether they follow the sport closely or not, LOVE Erling Haaland. And many know Kevin DeBruyne too. My daughter says City shirts outnumber any other team displayed at her school save maybe Barcelona (and that was, of course, due to Messi).

So while winning and lots of exposure on the big stages has helped, don't underestimate the drawing power of our Nordic meat shield and our beloved ginger too. They are phenomenons. Americans love personalities as much as teams, especially younger ones.

That said . . . for lunch time my time matches when I can go to my "local" (which is a 15-minute drive from my house -- that's a "local" in California), a little group is starting to build of regulars who are there for City. So the spark has begun to spread a bit.

City Kids in America

America loves a winner! Seriously!

Kids want bragging rights and to wear colours that won’t get derision. Right now, especially amongst the younger element, that’s City! But, that’s also how the red tops got famous, so let’s not knock it!

The other thing is the weekly games here are mainly on a streaming channel, with the exception of the 5:30pm weekend kick offs and the Monday Night games. Those games are on free tv, so they tend to get more eyes. In addition, FINALS FOR TROPHIES are on free tv here, so the fact that City are playing in and winning so many has helped the club grow in leaps and bounds.

I always have an eye out for club colours at the various airports and have no problem telling lads wearing Utd/Liverpool tops they can’t get on unless they cover up! However, I’ve seen progressively more City gear over the last few years especially.

Long may it continue!

After to phone call to the dressing room to Kyle and the boys from President Biden when we beat Real Madrid in the soccer Super Bowl.
In the call Joe said congrats to Kyle beating the Madridists because that Di Stefano and Puskas are really good players. That was right after he had lunch with Prime Minister Felipe Gonzalez!!

I am sure little Gary Neville will have something to say about this because he knows everything and he's a hot shot businessman. Let's not forget what the idiot in trousers said about City's revenues in 2023.

"City can never be as big a club as United on the global scale, when it comes to power. However, City do have greater revenues at this moment in time. That is something that is slightly unbelievable, and they’re going to have to answer".

Well Gary, have you ever heard of Pangea? Well that's evidence that things do change over time. Wake up Gary, football's tectonic plates have shifted since 1999.

I look forward to him challenging City's success in the USA. No doubt he will do no research and make some ridiculously nostalgic comment about Man United. Tosser.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.