City - big club or not ?

Think Leeds have a bigger support than both Sheffield clubs put together , with it being a big one club city and all that. Sunderland average 20k but then take 50K to Wembley, a bit like a northern Gillingham.
Norwich averaged more in the third tier than Leeds did in two of their three seasons down there.

Sheff Wednesday nearly always have bigger attendances than Leeds when they’re at the same level. Leeds are probably the worst supported club in the country considering they’re a one club city from a city the size they’re from.

Sunderland have averaged 32,157 30,118 and 30,237 in their years in the third tier. All three seasons smashing our average attendance at that level.

They’ve won 6 league titles (7th most in the country), they’ve spent 86 seasons in the top flight (10th most in the country), they are 10th in the all-time league table, they are 10th in the all-time average attendance table… they were the top Nothern club of pre-WW2 English football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Norwich averaged more in the third tier than Leeds did in two of their three seasons down there.

Sheff Wednesday nearly always have bigger attendances than Leeds when they’re at the same level. Leeds are probably the worst supported club in the country considering they’re a one club city from a city the size they’re from.

Sunderland have averaged 32,157 30,118 and 30,237 in their years in the third tier. All three seasons smashing our average attendance at that level.

They’ve won 6 league titles (7th most in the country), they’ve spent 86 seasons in the top flight (10th most in the country), they are 10th in the all-time league table, they are 10th in the all-time average attendance table…
They are the nearest of the second tier to being a top tier club, let down by not having any recent success and spending too long outside the top flight. I would definitely have them historically ahead of Leeds and West Ham though.

There's a wave of youngsters born in 2000 and later that only know us as the biggest club in England. Once they become the journalist majority the tide will change.

They’ve won 6 league titles (7th most in the country), they’ve spent 86 seasons in the top flight (10th most in the country), they are 10th in the all-time league table, they are 10th in the all-time average attendance table…
Smashed ours but attendences can only be judged in their time. Look at non league crowds now. Football is probably more poular now then ever. We'd get 32,000 to 38,000 in third tier now im sure

Big club?

Ya I dunno. Agreed OP.

All I know is the boys turned up in the parade with the supporters to celebrate another league title Hey Jude was playing, Queen and the Yaya - Kolo chants were going and it's happy days. Next seasons Pepe get's the CL cup comp trophy for the cabinet and shuts up Scousesport for'all (but probably still not).

I think yes, by all measures and even before the takeover, but truthfully I'll never fully understand the big club vs small club thing or why it matters

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.