City fan' letter in "Radio Times"

And I've just read a fascinating article about the history of fatal accidents involving steam locomotives on British railways with engines coning off the tracks or hitting objects or people lying on them. Goes all the way back to the Stockton & Darlington in 1825 and includes an account of an accident caused by workmen in L'pool in 1835 "carelessly leaving planks of wood on the line."
I dont think it was there fault?

These are the best ones.
'Describe your favourite City goal' might start out as Tuearts overhead kick but by page 2 we are talking about some brass in Guatemala who had a beard.

See what I'm doing, giggle.
I just had to look to remind myself what this thread is actually supposed to be about

Sky also did a documentary called Eye of the Storm so it’s not just the BBC who’ve done one. Don’t recall either doing one on City.
Sky have documentary about us.

Drink It In: The Rise of Man City​

And I've just read a fascinating article about the history of fatal accidents involving steam locomotives on British railways with engines coning off the tracks or hitting objects or people lying on them. Goes all the way back to the Stockton & Darlington in 1825 and includes an account of an accident caused by workmen in L'pool in 1835 "carelessly leaving planks of wood on the line."

And to keep this as on topic as possible. Fact: at the height of the so-called railway mania of the 1830s and 40s, at least one stately home had a spur built onto a main line (all railways were of course private), so that selected trains could come straight to the house.
Travelling by rail was both dangerous — there were many accidents — and filthy. To get an idea, look at Turner's Rain, Steam and Speed. If you look closely, you see that the carriages are open. So, often, most of the smoke would have been blown back in people's faces.

The most irritating thing about our national Broadcaster is even when you can prove unquestionable bias… the fuckers just say it’s our imagination and they are beyond rebuke. i recall the Bertie photo and a BBC senior Exec. Swearing to me that it was all a big coincidence and that we blues are too sensitive.

Paul Nolan care of Piccadilly radio phone in,with James Stannage.
Yes. I remember him. Seemed to support a different team each season, perhaps more frequently.
There was one strange woman who called herself 'the future Mrs Barton'. Sort of like those even stranger ones who get infatuated
With lifers.

They have more fans than us. Therefore, that documentary would have more viewers than ours.

Am I wrong for suggesting it's that straight forward?
Think it’s not just the number of fans but who the fans are.

Lots of people who work in the media are from the shires and Home Counties and they chose Liverpool or United as kids over their local lower league side.

They may have very little interest in or affection for Liverpool as a city, but they are biased towards the club in an instinctive way because of this Southern Red plastic mentality that being an English club in Europe generated.

Also the way the Scousers mobilised against Murdoch’s rags has the media scared of causing offence. I grudgingly admire Liverpool for their unity and resolve on that one, personally.

I don’t doubt Liverpool are ‘big’ but we’ll never really know how big because the media will always say they’re big regardless, for the reasons above IMO.

And to keep this as on topic as possible. Fact: at the height of the so-called railway mania of the 1830s and 40s, at least one stately home had a spur built onto a main line (all railways were of course private), so that selected trains could come straight to the house.
Travelling by rail was both dangerous — there were many accidents — and filthy. To get an idea, look at Turner's Rain, Steam and Speed. If you look closely, you see that the carriages are open. So, often, most of the smoke would have been blown back in people's faces.
Turner reportedly had himself strapped to the front of a loco and driven into a rainstorm in order to get the right "feel" for that painting before he started work on it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.