City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

Utd fans are in a different position. Their Season ticket holders have to buy Champions league (and FA Cup) tickets as part of their agreement.

Their support is a legacy of a previous era in many ways.

we need to have a discussion amongst fans about priorities. Club perhaps needs to have a drive to increase membership of CL scheme.

@jrb put forward a very good suggestion a few posts up. I think this would definitely help. Trouble is, I have my suspicions that the club wouldn't want to offer a CL group stage package at the time of season ticket renewals because if they did it for a cheap price and then we drew a marquee team in the group stage draw a couple of months later that would guarantee a sell out, they'd see it as missing out on loads of extra revenue. They used to cap domestic cup ticket prices at something like £15 for games prior to the quarter finals for those signed up to the relevant cup schemes and then one year we drew United in the 3rd round!

Our crowds for CL games aren't always as bad as some think though - remember that when we played Basel at home last season in what was effectively a dead rubber match, we had a higher attendance than Liverpool did for their dead rubber home match against Porto in the same round.

Last edited:
Surely the fact that most have opted out says it all? Most of our core fanbase don't care about the Champs League, it isn't shameful or embarassing, it's just fact mate.

It's like saying because I have a membership at a running club I must attend every race/event. I don't, I just go when I want to and certain events I find better than others. Same principle.
The point was Utd fans would have opted out too had they had the choice. They are in a unique situation where they thousands of season ticket holders don't want to give up their season tickets. City couldn't introduce such a scheme now but it sustains Utd CL crowds.

It was an easy point to understand.

They are already massively discounted. You can get 3 for £52.50.

You're right, that's what I did. To be honest though, I went partly out of a sense of duty rather than because I love these games. I don't know if I'm representative of other season ticket holders but I just don't get the same buzz for a CL game as a premier league game. I even enjoy FA cup games more. It's difficult to put your finger on it but I just don't feel it for the champions league. Will there come a point when something "clicks"? Who knows.

The point was Utd fans would have opted out too had they had the choice. They are in a unique situation where they thousands of season ticket holders don't want to give up their season tickets. City couldn't introduce such a scheme now but it sustains Utd CL crowds.

It was an easy point to understand.

I didn't say it wasn't easy to understand did I?

It's morally shite of Utd to do and would be if City did the same.

Question to you all.

How many of you wouldn't renew your season ticket if the CL matches were compulsary, and you were guaranteed CL match incentives(see above) and cheaper LC and FA Cup tickets.

If prices went up, i'd get rid personally. I'm at my 'limit' of what I want to pay for my seasoncard, I will do cup games on an ad-hoc if prices are decent and I can get a few extra to take the family.

Sneaking an extra £15 a season onto price of seasoncard for a tin and a scarf that I stick in a charity bag just pisses me off tbh.

You're right, that's what I did. To be honest though, I went partly out of a sense of duty rather than because I love these games. I don't know if I'm representative of other season ticket holders but I just don't get the same buzz for a CL game as a premier league game. I even enjoy FA cup games more. It's difficult to put your finger on it but I just don't feel it for the champions league. Will there come a point when something "clicks"? Who knows.
CL group games are not all exciting but you have to win them to play Liverpool in the CL Q/Finals.

Fans feel an obligation to support the club and be there at home games. Doesn't mean we will enjoy and anticipate all the games with equal measure. Part of the joy of winning the league against QPR was because we had done the time.

Question to you all.

How many of you wouldn't renew your season ticket if the CL matches were compulsary, and you were guaranteed CL match incentives(see above) and cheaper LC and FA Cup tickets.

If the club did this, it would annoy me and I would probably register my objection by not renewing. Even though it would probably save me money. Daft, I know but that's how I would feel.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.