City fans writing John Stones off too early?

Harsh no? Thought he was reliable and solid particularly before his injury in '17/18 and '18/19.

Struggled in his first and this season though I'll give you that.
He's a poor signing, he is one of the very few players in the last 10 years that has regressed.

And when when we won those trophies he was not involved, you forget Vincent Kompany already?

He's a poor signing, he is one of the very few players in the last 10 years that has regressed.
This is the key point. He looked a great prospect but is worse now than he was four years ago. He had a great six months alongside Kompany and that's it. There is no time for sentiment. Pep has bent over backwards to help him. There are many better centre backs in the PL. For example Tarkowski at Burnley and Soyuncu who is superb in my view. Otamanedi was great for two seasons but is now well past it. We are world class in most positions but our centre backs (except Laporte) are sub-standard.

And when when we won those trophies he was not involved, you forget Vincent Kompany already?
Obviously Vincent (& Laporte 18/19) were fundamental in winning those titles but ultimately it is a team effort, see Stones performance in the 2-1 win v Liverpool in Jan '19 as an example, he's played his part.

Admittedly he hasn't lived up to the hype around him when he signed but I just think it's harsh to say he's not been up to standard for the full 4 years, but then, it is a game of opinions.

Obviously Vincent (& Laporte 18/19) were fundamental in winning those titles but ultimately it is a team effort, see Stones performance in the 2-1 win v Liverpool in Jan '19 as an example, he's played his part.

Admittedly he hasn't lived up to the hype around him when he signed but I just think it's harsh to say he's not been up to standard for the full 4 years, but then, it is a game of opinions.
Exactly he's not lived up to his potential, he goes missing, has let his manager down at vital times.

This was John Stones year , Kompany gone and then a serious injury to Laporte.

Enter the stage John Stones, and what a disaster that became, "injuries" and completely unprepared. He even was given a chance to redeem himself during the covid break. What did he do?, came back injured and looking like a paraffin lamp.

I'd be disappointed if we only got £20m for him. I'd rather hang on to him as a squad player, than let him go that cheap.

A players value factors in the wages they are on as well as the 'value' to another club. If you have a player who is massively over paid they can have a a very low or negative value if you factor in the amount required to compensate for a step down in wages:

A player might be on £10m a year in wages. With 2 years left on a deal that is £20m.

A prospective club might want to pay them £2m a year in wages. The £16m difference in pay for the two years left on the contract is the pay off the player wants to accept the transfer.

This kind of scenario applies to Stones and Otamendi who are both paid way above what a prospective club might pay.

These scenarios often end up as protracted loan deals (see Sanchez and Coutinho).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.