City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Re: City & FFP (continued)

I believe our hospitality figures are relatively poor when compared with (say) Liverpool. And we are not even close to the likes of United and Arsenal, and might not be for many years (if ever).

I also believe that our ticket prices are much more sensitive than the likes of Liverpool too, due to the fact that there are not huge queues of tourists fans lining up to buy tickets that City fans don't use. Liverpool can demand a higher price than we can, and again, that won't change for a good few years (but I think they should be our initial target to beat).

They used to say that the sun never set on the British Empire.

You will soon be able to say the same about the CFG.

CFG will be the first football (soccer) business to turnover £1bn p.a. and the group will, within ten years be the most valuable sports 'franchise' in the world.

FFP is irrelevant to CFG and UEFA know it.

fbloke said:

CFG will be the first football (soccer) business to turnover £1bn p.a. and the group will, within ten years be the most valuable sports 'franchise' in the world.

<Goosebumps>

I can only agree. When you sit down and reflect on it, HRH Mansour and Khaldoon are not doing this to win a couple of nice trophies. Their objective is to be a dominant force - possibly THE dominant force - in world football. To create a dynasty like we've seen at Real Madrid for the past 100 years.

Chippy_boy said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
meltonblue said:
For all the comments on FFP and the impact it has on competition, I still think more could be said about it not actually being fit for purpose for it's initial stated aim, which was to protect clubs and improve their "financial health". I don't see how it can be when all it takes into account is the profit and loss, and even them some parts are exempt.

I think more should be done to challenge it just on that part, it still allows clubs to be laden with debt.

The competitive side of things, I don't think there will never be answer for in football as long as it is a free market.
That's what Dupont is challenging FFP on - not that it (or financial regulation) is illegal per se but the way in which it seeks to implement that.

The key question is (if your intention is to prevent "another Portsmouth") will it? And the answer is no.

I am not sure that is the basis of the challenge, although it may be part of it.

These are UEFA's stated objectives of FFP, taken directly from UEFA's website:

• to introduce more discipline and rationality in club football finances
• to decrease pressure on salaries and transfer fees and limit inflationary effect
• to encourage clubs to compete with(in) their revenues
• to encourage long-term investments in the youth sector and infrastructure
• to protect the long-term viability of European club football
• to ensure clubs settle their liabilities on a timely basis

This is broadly in line with what it says in Article 2(2) of the FFP regulations, but note the 2nd bullet! Surely this has got to be biggest problem and where it's most likely to fall down.

Melton blue makes a valid point. These aims are meant to be so obviously desirable that no-one can take issue with them, but, in fact, they become so vague that no-one really understands what they mean, and M. Dupont will argue that, though regulation of football finances may be a desirable objective, the regulation introduced by these regulations is so harmful that they are contrary to the law and worse than the present framework.

"Rationality" and "discipline" are words which have to be given meaning, because we don't recognise one "thing" as "rational" and we don't only accept one form of "discipline", and we reject completely some forms of both. UEFA has to show that their form of either is acceptable.

Uefa really are in trouble when it comes to "decreasing pressure on salaries and transfer fees and limit inflationary effect". The first transfer window of the FFP regime shows that the regulations have failed. Barca have splashed out their record fee for Suarez after paying the fourth biggest fee of all time last summer for Neymar, Manchester United their's for Di Maria and have found a way of buying Falcao now for a record fee but avoiding any trouble with the regulations by a loan with compulsory purchase agreement which defers payment till next year. Real Madrid forked out the fifth biggest fee of all time on James. Three of the 6 biggest transfer fees of all time took place in this window, all by clubs operating within FFP, and the biggest of all time was last season by a club operating within the rules. Far from reducing transfer fees it simply means that only the "magic circle" will be allowed to compete for the best players, and Monaco were forced to sell two of them to avoid a thumping great UEFA fine...

This apparently is to "encourage clubs to compete with(in) their revenues." But it doesn't try to do that at all. There is no encouragement, but a swingeing set of sanctions available to pulverize clubs who don't. Oh, and we have to use the UEFA definition of "revenues" which, if you read on in the regs, doesn't allow investment from the owner. And, of course, the clubs that have been singled out for the heaviest fines ever imposed on sporting organisations are those who don't owe a penny. Very encouraging.

But this will encourage clubs to in "the youth sector and infrastructure." At the Etihad the new £200 million training complex and academy was nearing completion and the cranes had moved in to improve and increase capacity at the stadium, as UEFA decided on a world record fine for the club for... complying with the regulations on spending as they had been explained to the club over a period of 3 years...but not complying with the explanation given over the last 3 months. Very encouraging!

Never mind! The regulations will protect "the long term viability of European club football." Really? What it will do is make sure you can't threaten the preeminence of the "magic circle", but your club can sure as hell ruin itself and there's nothing your owner can do about it but sit and wach. These regs would not have saved Portsmouth or Leeds...and just look at how Fulham are faring right now. Strengthen - by selling all your players!

But it will force Manchester City to "settle their liabilities on a timely basis". But when will all those Spanish clubs have paid all their taxes?

Can anyone please explain briefly how the new player contracts impact on FFPR. And how they impact on our overall profit/loss at the end of this financial year. And as regards FFPR.

In it basic form. Do the new player contracts and our increased revenue mean the club will be in profit at the end of this financial year, and guessing, how much by, If that's possible?

ThaNks.

jrb said:
Can anyone please explain briefly how the new player contracts impact on FFPR. And how they impact on our overall profit/loss at the end of this financial year. And as regards FFPR.

In it basic form. Do the new player contracts and our increased revenue mean the club will be in profit at the end of this financial year, and guessing, how much by, If that's possible?

ThaNks.

Our new player contracts mean that the basic wage goes down, which means we pay a smaller fixed amount to each player each week, and over the year. The bonus payments go up, which means that if we're successful, they get larger lump sums when they activate those bonuses. FFPR excludes bonus payments from calculations, so in reality the number that is measured, made up mostly of the total of the basic wages paid out over the season, decreases by quite a nice amount, improving our profitability.

In terms of this financial year (14/15) I'd expect us to make a profit, the number I couldn't really guess. I think we'd have a clearer indication when we know the 13/14 figures, as that will give us a good indication over the progress made last year, and the extent of our trajectory.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
jrb said:

ThaNks.

Our new player contracts mean that the basic wage goes down, which means we pay a smaller fixed amount to each player each week, and over the year. The bonus payments go up, which means that if we're successful, they get larger lump sums when they activate those bonuses. FFPR excludes bonus payments from calculations, so in reality the number that is measured, made up mostly of the total of the basic wages paid out over the season, decreases by quite a nice amount, improving our profitability.

In terms of this financial year (14/15) I'd expect us to make a profit, the number I couldn't really guess. I think we'd have a clearer indication when we know the 13/14 figures, as that will give us a good indication over the progress made last year, and the extent of our trajectory.
I thought it was the just the sanctions that excluded bonuses from their calculation. Also I've mentioned before that we supposedly hedge the bonuses (was stated on the new contracts thread, I've no definite proof).

Chippy_boy said:
fbloke said:

<Goosebumps>

I can only agree. When you sit down and reflect on it, HRH Mansour and Khaldoon are not doing this to win a couple of nice trophies. Their objective is to be a dominant force - possibly THE dominant force - in world football. To create a dynasty like we've seen at Real Madrid for the past 100 years.
More like 58 years!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.