City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

We didn't pay for the conversion from an athletics stadium to a football stadium. We paid for the stadium to be fitted out (i.e. for concessions, hospitality, offices, etc).

The key figures, though are:

According to Sport England (though the relevant report is no longer on their site), the only option if there was no viable tenant for CoMS was to build a temporary athletics stadium for the Commonwealth Games and then scaling it down to a small athletics stadium afterwards. Sport England further said that the difference in cost between that option and the option of building the stadium City eventually got (including conversion after the Games) was GBP 60 million. So this, in effect, is the cost of getting City into CoMS.

We paid the Council GBP 6 million in cash and transferred Maine Road into the Council's ownership. That transaction valued the old stadium at GBP 27 million, which was its value in our books at the time. However, I believe that it only realised GBP 14 million for the Council when sold for development, so let's be conservative and take that sum as the value. Thus, from what City gave the Council when we moved to CoMS, GBP 20 million went back to the public purse.

We know as well that the attendance-based 'rent' payments we made between 2003 and 2011 came to GBP 14 million, and it's been reported that, since 2011, there's been a renegotiated payment under our lease of GBP 4 million annually (including a component for in return for us being entitled to sell naming rights). That's another GBP 16 million in the last four years then.

Add these sums together and you get GBP 50 million, meaning that three more annual payments will more than match the cost to the public purse of City moving to CoMS after the games. That will be by 2018, or 15 years after we moved in. And we'll continue paying GBP 4 million per year, ringfenced to finance sports activity in Manchester, for a long time after that.

Now, I admit that the new stadium was a godsend for our club at the time because we could never have financed it using more conventional funding models. But this idea that we've given nothing back in return for our good fortune is simply untrue.

I understand that the Olympic Stadium has cost GBP 272 to convert for West Ham to occupy it and West Ham have paid GBP 15 towards that - without even being required to hand over their own stadium. They have a 99-year lease and are paying GBP 2.5 million per year, so by the end of the lease, they'll just about have repaid that GBP 250 million shortfall! Compare this with the public purse being in profit from MCFC within 15 years.

Now, City have more advantageous lease terms than West Ham. We now are able to sell naming rights, and we keep all revenuse from concerts or other events at ths stadium. But even so, it's in no way comparable.

We didn't pay for the conversion from an athletics stadium to a football stadium. We paid for the stadium to be fitted out (i.e. for concessions, hospitality, offices, etc).

According to Sport England (though the relevant report is no longer on their site), the only option if there was no viable tenant for CoMS was to build a temporary athletics stadium for the Commonwealth Games and then scaling it down to a small athletics stadium afterwards. Sport England further said that the difference in cost between that option and the option of building the stadium City eventually got (including conversion after the Games) was GBP 60 million. So this, in effect, is the cost of getting City into CoMS.

We paid the Council GBP 6 million in cash and transferred Maine Road into the Council's ownership. That transaction valued the old stadium at GBP 27 million, which was its value in our books at the time. However, I believe that it only realised GBP 14 million for the Council when sold for development, so let's be conservative and take that sum as the value. Thus, from what City gave the Council when we moved to CoMS, GBP 20 million went back to the public purse.

We know as well that the attendance-based 'rent' payments we made between 2003 and 2011 came to GBP 14 million, and it's been reported that, since 2011, there's been a renegotiated payment under our lease of GBP 4 million annually (including a component for in return for us being entitled to sell naming rights). That's another GBP 16 million in the last four years then.

Add these sums together and you get GBP 50 million, meaning that three more annual payments will more than match the cost to the public purse of City moving to CoMS after the games. That will be by 2018, or 15 years after we moved in. And we'll continue paying GBP 4 million per year, ringfenced to finance sports activity in Manchester, for a long time after that.

Now, I admit that the new stadium was a godsend for our club at the time because we could never have financed it using more conventional funding models. But this idea that we've given nothing back in return for our good fortune is simply untrue.

I understand that the Olympic Stadium has cost GBP 272 to convert for West Ham to occupy it and West Ham have paid GBP 15 towards that - without even being required to hand over their own stadium. They have a 99-year lease and are paying GBP 2.5 million per year, so by the end of the lease, they'll just about have repaid that GBP 250 million shortfall! Compare this with the public purse being in profit from MCFC within 15 years.

Now, City have more advantageous lease terms than West Ham. We now are able to sell naming rights, and we keep all revenuse from concerts or other events at ths stadium. But even so, it's in no way comparable.

Informative and interesting post. Thanks for that Petrusha

Factually, the sale of lloyds shares has made a profit of over £12bn for the Treasury.

Thanks for correction S2, do you have the facts on the other bailout banks etc., perhaps they are only bad at controlling spend in the construction sector within London or do I have the wrong impression about the differences between public and private sector controls on spending ?

think we spent £20bn to get £12bln return to date. not that great

Thanks for that Jon, is that the same £12bn that S2 claims as profit ?
I assumed he had already deducted the cost of the cash injection from the share sale total to get his profit figure.

And if you add in all the investment we have put into the surrounding area, the college and the Campus plus all the infrastructure and the 6,000 homes which City are helping to build, then it has been a fantastic deal for the council taxpayers of Manchester. In fact the council has made a huge profit. It is a fantastic example of a successful public-private sector partnership. Instead of being slated by the media (and tossers like Greg Dyke) we should be held up as role model for the rest of football.

Thanks Peter - excellent research as always. I wasn't aware that we didn't fund the conversion to a football stadium and feel a tool for saying so. Maybe that Rag who I monstered on Red Cafe deserves an apology. In fact, no, fuck him - he was being a dick anyway!

Meanwhile, there's more hilarious reading on that Gooner site with some Arsenal fans actually claiming that Tony Adams is wrong and Fiszman didn't invest money in the club. A Chelsea fan, Mike T, also came up with this very interesting piece of information that I wasn't previously aware of. Needless to say, not a single Gooner has responded to him:

http://untold-arsenal.com/archives/44691
  • Tony

Even if the whole Fiiszman thing is misquoted how about the vast sums put into Arsenal by Granada Media?.

I don’t mean the £20 million that was pic in by way of partnership for the AFC broadband project I am talking about the monies that were turned into equity. And something that would not now be allowable under FFP

Yes Arsenal used the money to part fund the stadium but none the less it wasn’t money that Arsenal generated through the allowable revenue streams

Last edited:
Can someone post a link to where we've been given the green light from UEFA (too many bloody pages on here!). I need it to settle an argument over here. An external source, rather than just someone on here saying it, please. Thanks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.